PROLOGUE

Lily, an eighteen-year-old with the innocence and demeanor of a five-year-old, wandered through the corridors of her father's home, her laughter echoing off the walls like the chiming of bells. Despite her adult age, Lily's sweet and oblivious nature endeared her to all who knew her, her childlike innocence a breath of fresh air in a world grown weary with age.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow across the estate, Lily's father announced the arrival of his new wife, Veronica. Unbeknownst to either of them, Veronica harbored a deep, unspoken obsession for Lily, a love that had taken root long before she stood before them as a newlywed.

As Lily entered the grand foyer, her eyes widened in wonder at the sight of Veronica, a vision of grace and beauty standing beside her father. Veronica's gaze lingered on Lily, her heart pounding with a fervent longing that went unnoticed amidst the flurry of introductions.

"Lily, darling, this is Veronica, your new stepmother," her father's voice rang out, filled with a mixture of pride and anticipation.

Lily's face lit up with a radiant smile as she approached Veronica, her innocence shining like a beacon in the dimly lit room. "Hello, Veronica! It's lovely to meet you," she exclaimed, her voice tinkling like wind chimes on a breezy day.

Veronica's breath caught in her throat as she took in Lily's childlike wonder, her heart aching with a love that dared not speak its name. She reached out to take Lily's hand, her touch gentle yet tinged with a longing that stirred something deep within Lily's soul.

In that moment, amidst the warmth of the foyer and the flickering candlelight, a connection sparked between them, a bond that transcended time and reason. But to Lily, Veronica was simply a kind and beautiful stranger, her innocence shielding her from the shadows that lurked beneath Veronica's gaze.

Little did she know, their first meeting marked the beginning of a dangerous dance, where love and obsession intertwined in a web of deceit and desire, threatening to unravel the fragile threads of their lives.