chapter fourteen; fast times

Start from the beginning

"Maya. Stop texting him. You cannot give him the wrong idea, especially when you'll have to see him everyday for filming. Just... be careful. you don't mean it, but you have a flirty personality."

"I do not!"

"You do." She argued. I looked at Charlie for backup, but he nodded in agreement.

"It's true, May. I'm sorry." He chuckled, looking at his phone as we walked down the street. I had no clue where we were going, but it was my last worry at this moment.

"Flirting is with intention. It doesn't count if I dont mean to flirt." I told Dior, but all she did was laugh.

"It doesn't matter about your intention if the other person thinks that you're flirting with them, May." She ran her hand through her thick curls, tied in a pretty half up - half down style that framed her angelic face perfectly. I loved her face, but I didn't love the words that were coming out of it.

"Whatever! Have either of you spoke to Walker recently?" I asked, attempting to sound casual. It wasn't that the boy was ignoring me - actually, it was worse. He was pretending the entire interaction didn't happen at all, which didn't sit right with me. It made me think I was delusional, and I was making something of nothing.

"Ooh, why? Trouble in paradise?" Dior teased, earning a light shove on the arm. She giggled at me. "Yeah, I have. He's been weird the past week, though. He seems distracted. Which makes sense, considering what happened. Have you spoken?"

Normally I would be comfortable having this conversation, but the fact that Charlie was there made me slightly uncomfortable. I knew that there were some underlying feelings between us, clouded by our friendship. His end wasn't entirely platonic. Knowing that he had some insight on what was going on between me and Walker was just strange.

"Well, yes. But not about it." I muttered, avoiding eye contact with the both of them.

Charlie tutted. "Can I know what happened?" he questioned, and Dior and I shared a look. "Okay, that's fine. I probably don't want to know."

We stopped briefly at a fish and chips shop, got a massive family pack and walked down to the beach. Not the one where me and Walker spent time together. The one where Charlie and I went swimming together.

As we sat down, I received a quick message from Malachi, asking what I was up to. The two of us had been talking a lot since the day we hung an out. "Hey, do you guys mind if Malachi comes down here?" I question, to which the group agreed. Ten minutes later, the boy joined us, greeting me with a hug.

"Hey, Mal. This is Charlie and Dior." I introduced him. They all exchanged greetings, smiling and laughing with each other. Charlie kept looking in between the two of us; the small proximity and how close the brunette boy was sat next to me.

"I'm surprised Walker isn't here." Malachi said, and Dior smothered a laugh. I groaned, hiding my face in his shoulder. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

"No, it's just... there's a lot." I explained, vaguely. Malachi sighed in realisation, nodding.

"A lot that she refuses to tell anyone." Charlie tilted his head, glaring at me jokingly. I threw a chip at him, which he quickly swatted away.

"Anyway, Mal. How's filming?" I asked, changing the subject. Everyone tuned in to hear about his most recent project.

"It's so cool. I've always been a Disney kid, so it's nothing new for me. But the cast is just so cool, everyone's so nice. We're pretty much just learning lines and songs and dances, right now. I have to die my hair red once we start." Malachi mentioned, making Dior gasp in shock.