An Everlasting Love

Laila helped the nanny dress the children and checked with the cook. She looked at her reflection and walked out to the great room. "Mummy, you look so beautiful." Three year old Alexander and Philip said. Laila kissed them.

"Thank you. We're having dinner with a very special guest." Laila said. She opened the door when she heard a knock. "Cyrus, come in. This is Alexander, Philip, Gaius and Julius." Laila said. Cyrus shook hands with the boys and they all went to the dining hall.

"Your sons are beautiful." Cyrus said. Laila smiled.

"Thank you." Laila said. They ate dinner and Laila kissed the boys goodnight. Cyrus kissed her softly when she returned to the great room. "Do you want to go to my bedchamber?" Laila asked.

"Very much. But I can wait. I want to marry you, Laila, and I don't have a secret wife." Cyrus said. Laila smiled.

"I would be honored to be your wife." Laila said. Cyrus hugged her tightly. He handed her a small box.

"A token of my promise to be a good husband to you." Cyrus said. Laila opened the box.

"It's beautiful." Laila said. Cyrus put the sapphire ring on her left third finger. The flawless gem was surrounded by small black diamonds.

"I have to return to Persia and arrange to have my holdings moved here. I'll be gone for a few weeks." Cyrus said. Laila swallowed.

"Oh. You're leaving." Laila said. Cyrus kissed her soulfully.

"I will be back soon and we'll get married. I'm not going to abandon you like they did. Besides, we haven't laid together." Cyrus said. Laila smiled. "Just a few weeks and then we can start our life together." Cyrus said. Laila hugged him tightly.

"I love you Cyrus." Laila said.

"I love you, beautiful Laila." Cyrus said. Laila walked him to the door and kissed him passionately.

"Please come back to me." Laila said. Cyrus smiled.

"Nothing could keep me away from you, my love." Cyrus said. Laila hugged him tightly. She locked the door after he left and went to bed. Laila brought herself off and fell asleep, thinking of Cyrus.

Laila waited and waited for Cyrus to return to Macedonia. She had started to give up hope of ever seeing him again when he finally returned. Laila hugged him tightly and kissed him passionately when he arrived. "Oh my love. I missed you so much." Laila said. Cyrus smiled.

"I'm sorry that it took so long, my darling. Now we can get married and I can taste what captured Caesar and Antony." Cyrus said. Laila giggled. She hadn't told anyone that they were engaged, afraid that she would never see him again.

"Do you want me to arrange the wedding?" Laila asked. Cyrus kissed her soulfully.

"My cousin already arranged everything. Just invite whoever you want. Ariel is hosting the wedding at her house." Cyrus said. Laila smiled.

"I can't wait to be your only wife." Laila said. Cyrus hugged her tightly.

"Yes, my love." Cyrus said. "The wedding is Saturday at 6 in the evening." Cyrus said.

"I'm so excited. I love you so very much." Laila said.

"I love you Laila. We're going to have a long happy life together." Cyrus said. Alexander and Philip ran into the great room. "Your mother and I are getting married soon. I hope that we can be friends." Cyrus said. The boys hugged him and kissed his cheeks.

"Mummy loves you very much." Alexander and Philip said. Cyrus smiled.

"I love her more than anything." Cyrus said. Laila smiled. The boys clapped. "I'll see you Saturday at 6." Cyrus said. Laila kissed him softly before he left. She had dinner with the boys and read them stories. Laila took a hot bath and went to bed. She fell asleep, thinking of Cyrus.