EIGHT

[y/n]
—————

After following Nash passed rooms, all blurs of architecture and light as we walked by, we reached the end of a long hall. Nash threw open the door.

It was a library. An absolutely breathtaking one, at that. The room was circular, with shelves made of dark, rich wood lining the walls, spanning from the floor to the ceiling. Four iron staircases scattered across the room ascended toward the upper shelves, and there was a tree stump- a fricking massive tree stump- in the library's center.

"Oh my God," I whispered in awe.

"So," Nash said, casually eyeing Jameson and Grayson, who stood on opposite sides of the room. "Whose ass do I need to kick first?"

Grayson looked up from the book he was holding. "Must we always resort to fisticuffs?"

"Looks like we have a volunteer for the first ass-kicking," Nash said, then shot a look at Jameson, who was nonchalantly leaning against a staircase. "Do I have a second?"

Jameson smirked. "Couldn't stay away, could you, big brother?"

"And leave Avery here with you knuckleheads?"

"I wouldn't worry too much about Ms. Grambs," Grayson said, silver eyes sharp. "She's clearly capable of taking care of herself."

I stole a glance at Avery, but she didn't return it, looking deeply in thought.

"Don't pay attention to Gray," Jameson told Avery lazily. "None of us do."

"Jamie," Nash said. "Zip it."

Jameson ignored him. "Grayson is in training for the Insufferable Olympics, and we really think he can go all the way if he can just jam that stick a little further up his—"

"Enough," Nash grunted.

It took all of my willpower not to burst out laughing. If anyone understood sibling rivalry, it was me. I was far from being Avery's biggest fan.

"What did I miss?" Xander bounded through the doorway, wearing a bougie-looking private school uniform. He shed his blazer in seconds.

"You haven't missed anything at all," Grayson told him. "And Ms. Grambs was just leaving." He flicked his gaze toward her. "I'm sure you want to get settled."

"So bossy," I grumbled, earning an appreciative nod from Jameson.

"Wait a second." Xander frowned, taking in the state of the library. "Were you guys brawling in here without me? This is what I get for being the only one who doesn't skip school," he said mournfully.

At the mention of school, Nash looked from Xander to Jameson. "No uniform," he noted. "Playing hooky, Jamie? Two ass-kickings it is."

As soon as he heard the phrase ass-kicking, he grinned, pounced, and tackled Nash to the ground. "Pinned you!" he declared triumphantly.

Nash hooked his ankle around Xander's leg and flipped him, pinning him to the floor. "Not today, little brother." He grinned, then looked at the other two. "Not today."

My God, men are primal...

"We should go," Avery said. She sounded... like she felt out of place. We both were, really.