24. The beginning of the end

After Cregan had departed for Winterfell, Rhaella had seemingly fell into a depressive state

After Cregan had departed for Winterfell, Rhaella had seemingly fell into a depressive state. Her marriage with the Lord of Winterfell had become estranged and all she had left of him was her dire wolf, Scarlett.

The pup had been by Rhaella's side since that night and the Princess was never seen without Scarlett following close behind her.

In some way, Rhaella liked to think that Marjorie was somehow watching over her through Scarlett.

But no matter how much Rhaella tried to forget about Cregan, her mind would constantly linger back to him and she wished she fought harder for him.

She shouldn't have allowed him to leave as easily as she did. She should have begged him to stay or offer to leave with him but she didn't.

Rhaella didn't say a word as he left because she was afraid of disappointing her mother and leaving the only family that remained.

What she failed to realize was that they were no longer the only family that remained. She had her own family, a family with Cregan and she was going to do whatever it took to get her family back.

And she was starting with getting her husband back.

Rhaella walked down the corridors of the castle as Scarlett ran after her, the Princess eager to see her mother and stepfather at once.

She needed to make things right with Cregan, even if it meant giving up the Iron Throne for him. If giving up the Iron Throne meant she would have Cregan and her children back, she would do so without question.

"Princess Rhaella and her dire wolf pup Scarlett." The knight announced as Rhaella entered the throne room with urgency.

Stood in the throne room was Rhaenyra, Daemon and Corlys, the three conversing about god knows what until Rhaella had entered the room.

"Grandsire, do you mind if I speak to my mother and stepfather alone? It is urgent." Rhaella asked as she looked at the Velaryon man.

"Of course, sweet girl." Corlys nodded with a smile before leaving the three in the throne room alone.

"Is there something troubling you, Rhaella?" Rhaenyra asked as she looked to her daughter with concern.

"Yes, actually." Rhaella nodded as she took a nervous breath in to calm herself. "Whatever it is, we can figure it out together." Rhaenyra smiled softly at her daughter.

"I'm afraid I cannot be your heir." Rhaella announced causing for Daemon and Rhaenyra to give each other a worried glance before looking back to Rhaella with a frown.

"Rhaella." Rhaenyra sighed before being stopped by Rhaella's voice.

"I came to your aide and I've helped you regain your birthright but it is time for me to return where I belong. I no longer belong here, mother. I belong in Winterfell with my husband and my children." Rhaella frowned up at her mother.