"What's your name again?" you asked.

"Ainsley," he said, scooting closer by an inch or so. You nodded, pulling the robe from your head. Your hair was mussed up, and you wiped your eyes off on your robe. You just glanced at him, and he forced a smile back.

At first, the silence was awkward. Your eyes darted between him and the floor beneath you. It took maybe a couple seconds or so for the awkward silence to turn to a comfortable silence, like only a minute was needed for you to have known him for years.

"Can I... Can I tell you something, really personal?" you sighed. It was on your mind, you had to get it out. He nodded, scooting just a bit closer.

"Of course. I mean, it's my job to know you best." You raised an eyebrow. He sighed. "I mean, well... Just go ahead." You rolled your eyes.

"Look, I don't like being around so many... people... I just get overwhelmed easily." Ainsley nodded his head.

"Okay, then I'll make sure you don't get overwhelmed." You forced a fake smile. "No, I mean it." He chuckled. "Father Carlisle trained me to be your guard." He sat up straight and placed his right fist upon his left shoulder. "I swear to you, Paragon, that I'll be here to make you happy." Another forced smile was pinned to your lips. The sentiment was nice, but the pull off was creepy, but what else was new?

You spent the rest of the night in your room. Ainsley went out to spend time at the party, which continued without you. While Ainsley looked around the fire, he noticed Kalaya dancing alone. She looked rather intoxicated. He just smiled and walked away from the flames.

As usual, the children weren't among the ones partying. They were left in their homes while the adults went to the parties and bonfires. The adults of the commune were against children playing at the parties, but there was just something off about leaving all the children on their own. Ainsley was only sixteen, but in his situation, being the guardian of the paragon, he was always an adult.

Ainsley walked to his mother and father's home. He knocked on the door softly, and several seconds later the door opened. Brie opened the door and looked up at her big brother with a great big grin.

"Ainsley!" she exclaimed as she ran to her older brother, hugging him tightly. "Is it true?! Is the paragon here?! I haven't gotten to see them! Are they just as amazing as Father Carlisle says?!" Ainsley chuckled and picked up the smaller girl to carry her to the smaller bed that was hers.

"Yes, they're certainly amazing," he chuckled to his sibling. "They're resting now." Brie wiggled in Ainsley's lap excitedly. The god was now on earth with them.

"You're so lucky, Ainsley! You get to be really close to the Paragon! Can I meet them?" He chuckled and petted her head, pushing it into his neck to try to get her to rest.

"Yes, of course. I'll see what I can do to get them to meet with you." She smiled brightly and rested into her brother's neck. He petted her for a while to let her fall asleep on him.

Her words echoed through Ainsley's mind. He was lucky to be so close to the Paragon. He was lucky, yes. So, so very lucky.

Ainsley was young at the time, only fourteen or so, when what others would call luck so quickly turned into torture for him.

It was ice cold outside, and Ainsley couldn't feel his legs. His bare skin was turning nearly blue from the cold as he stood naked with his arms stretched out, a heavy pail full of boiled water on either one. A leathery glove smacked his shoulder roughly, nearly making him fall to his knees. He screamed out in pain from the sharp feeling.

"Grow up," Father Carlisle hissed. "You cannot protect the paragon if you feel such pain."

Once, twice, three times, Ainsley was hit on the back with what felt like a sharp, heavy object. He wanted to cry, he wanted to scream and make it stop. Nothing would make it stop right then. He was hit once again, his numbing skin feeling as though every hit was breaking his bones. This time, he didn't whimper. He didn't cry out, he didn't scream. Father Carlisle smirked to himself, all wrapped up in his fur coat.