You pulled away from his arm around you and forced a smile.

"Well, that's nice, I guess. But I really don't know anything about this, and it's kinda an uncomfy topic. So honestly, I think it's best if-" He cut you off with a hearty laugh.

"Oh dear! No, we shall train you to be the paragon!" He set his hands on your shoulders again and began guiding you into the large house you now lived in. "When you were born, I was restrained from seeing you. By your mother, by the self-proclaimed men of law, even by the nurses who forcefully institutionalised me."

Nothing ever made so little sense and then so much in the span of a sentence. He was legit crazy. Fuck. He guided you down the halls and to a large library in the building, spouting off nonsense as if it were gospel.

"And yet, I was smart. I prevailed. They all tried to tell me that I was crazy, that I had no idea what I was talking about when I said that you would some day save the earth. But no, I knew it." He laughed once again. "Yes, yes. I knew it. So, I pretended to be a sheep like the rest of them. I took the drugs, I recited the statements they wanted to hear. But once I was released, I got to work."

You sat on a bench in the library as he combed through the many books, all dark grey with silver writing on the spines. You were oddly relaxed, even as you listened to your apparent father's insane ramblings. You took mental notes about what to tell the court for your restraining order after you turned 18.

"I used the internet to connect with people, people who understood and believed. I used facebook to spread my message of love for the universe. I told them of you, and how someday you would save us all. After several years, me and many of my followers purchased this land. Six acres made to be our home. During the construction, many families came to join. I only accepted those who showed that they were truly loyal to the paragon, and to myself."

He plucked a book from the shelf and handed it to you. Across the cover in silver writing was 'Following the Paragon: by Carlisle Beckford, volume I'. Oh god. Or... oh you? Gross.

"I have filled this library with the knowledge that the universe bestowed upon me. Each book in this library entails what I have learned. I've written our goals, our hopes, our futures." He looked at you with a proud grin. You forced a smile.

"Of course you did," you muttered, trying not to sound sarcastic. This fucker was legit crazy. You had a moment of concern, was this type of delusion genetic?

"Now you're here," he said with a giddy chuckle. "And now you can live amongst your people until your time comes."

"Yeah... cool."

You knew you had to be careful with anything you said to him. If he was as crazy as he seemed, he could certainly be ticked off by anything. You decided right then and there that you'd play the game. Pretend to be this 'paragon' until you turned 18 in 45 days. This was fine, you were gonna be fine.

"You may have free access to everywhere in the compound," he said, trying to entice you. "We have this library, another library in a house near the entrance, the fields, a schoolhouse, a doctor. We have everything you will ever need. But tonight, we shall hold a celebration."

"For what?"

"For you, of course! The people deserve to know that their saviour is here." You forced another smile and figured you'd better get used to faking being happy. Forty five days.

"Thank you," you said flatly. "I'm just gonna check out the compound then." He smiled and nodded before suddenly remembering something.

"Oh! We have a guide for you. He's been trained to be your protector. Goodness, I should've thought to prepare him this morning. I'll send someone to fetch him."