chapter two

In ancient texts, it is documented that demons once held dominion over the world, subjecting many to unimaginable suffering. The Goddess of Creation intervened by bestowing humanity with the gift of magic during the turbulent era known as the Malike Ages. Humans were endowed with a magical core, enabling them to harness the power of the elements. The Goddess introduced four primary magic symbols – fire, wind, water, and earth – to aid humanity in their struggle against the malevolent forces that threatened their existence. Over time, these symbols evolved, giving rise to various magical disciplines that became essential in the battle against monsters, ultimately culminating in what was termed the Holy War.

Within the expansive Kingdom of Ashrone, located in the renowned country of Varania, intricate societal divisions exist. The kingdom is partitioned into three distinct sections: the opulent Noble Realm inhabited by the esteemed houses blessed by the Goddess during the Malika, the Vlatava region where residents of moderate means and magical abilities dwell, and lastly, the impoverished territory of Yugaria. Situated near desolate lands, Yugaria is shrouded by dense forests and plagued by a maleficent magic that has stagnated growth and progress. The populace of Yugaria, marginalized and disenfranchised, languishes in poverty and obscurity, with even the revered Great Council neglecting to allocate resources due to the absence of powerful sorcerers capable of achieving military distinction beyond a mere D rank
.
...

As the wheels of the wagon crossed the road leading to the city of Magriala, a sense of weariness settled upon the traveler. Emerging from the vast forest of Yugaria, the landscape transformed into a more prosperous setting. The traveler, growing impatient, directed his frustration towards the old driver, questioning their progress.

"When will we arrive?" he demanded, frustration evident in his voice, "It has been a month since I left home, and you seem to have no idea where you're taking us, old man."

The old man's words hung heavy in the air, his annoyance palpable. "Shut the fuck up, boy," he screamed. "I should leave you out here and see how you go home with all these beasts around here."

A cruel smile spread across his face. "They will eat you, and I can finally have peace."

"We will see how mom takes my death then."

Suddenly, the old man's vision was replaced by that of a blonde-haired woman. She stood tall, a sword in her hand, lightning flashing behind her. Shivers ran down his spine.

"Look," he whispered, his voice trembling with excitement . "Look."

He glances in the pointed direction and sees the entrance to the city of Magriala. Magriala is the city where the entrance exam for becoming a knight is held, and where non-pure bloods go to enter the exam. With its hard-stoned structure, it signifies its military look.

"I can finally become a knight." A smile crosses his face, and a star-struck look appears on his face. But the old man in front of him has a grim look on his face.

... flashback

In the flickering candlelight, two figures sat across from each other, their faces etched with worry and uncertainty.

"Are you really going to allow him to take that exam?" the man inquired, his voice raspy from years of smoking. "You know what will..."

"I know what will happen," the woman replied, her voice laced with anger that slowly subsided into a whisper. "He's just like his father."

Silence filled the room, broken only by the crackling of the candle flame. The man's face, now fully illuminated, revealed an elderly man with dark, weathered skin and a shock of white hair. Despite his age, his physique was that of a much younger man.

In the dim candlelight, she coughs as blood leaks from her mouth, but quickly wipes it away with a handkerchief.

"I don't have much time," she whispers, her voice weak and raspy. "And I don't think he is strong enough." She takes a slow, labored breath. "But the spell will hold on a lot longer."

The man standing nearby finishes his cigarette and flicks it away. The candle flickers for the last time, plunging the room into darkness.

**Present**

They march on towards the entrance, or rather, the young man's beginning.