Lady In Waiting

Laila Theophilus looked up when a knock sounded at the door of the princess' bedchamber. The 16 year old hazel-eyed woman looked at the princess before opening the door. The Pharaoh's vizier stepped through the door. "Princess, your father wants to speak with you." The middle aged man said. Cleopatra stood up and took Laila's hand.

"Come with me, Laila." Cleopatra said. Laila nodded.

"Yes, princess." Laila said. She had grown up with the 18 year old light skinned black woman and was one of her most trusted friends as well as her servant. The pharaoh Ptolemy had been ill for a few weeks. Cleopatra held tightly to her beautiful friend's hand as they walked into the royal bedchamber.

"Father." Cleopatra said, kneeling beside the bed. Laila kneeled behind her, looking down.

"Cleopatra, my life is coming to an end. You will have to rule as pharaoh with your brother. Trust no one. There are serpents everywhere around us. I know that you will be a wise queen." Ptolemy said. "I see that Laila is here with you. I am happy you have a true friend with you at this time." Ptolemy said. Cleopatra looked at Laila.

"Yes, she is one of the only friends I can really trust." Cleopatra said.

"Keep her close to you. Trustworthy people are very rare." Ptolemy said. Cleopatra held her father's hand.

"I love you father." Cleopatra said.

"I love you daughter." Ptolemy said. He sighed as he breathed his last. Cleopatra wept, her head on her father's chest. Laila blinked back tears and touched Cleopatra's shoulder. Cleopatra hugged her and sobbed. Laila stepped back when the vizier and Cleopatra's younger brother joined her.

"Queen Cleopatra, you and your brother will rule Egypt together. You must be married in the tradition of all Egyptian pharaohs." The vizier said. Cleopatra nodded.

"Yes. As soon as our father is laid to rest." Cleopatra said.

"Of course." The vizier said. Cleopatra took Laila's arm and wept as they returned to her bedchamber.

"Ptolemy didn't shed a tear for our father." Cleopatra said bitterly.

"You were your father's favourite child. Ptolemy is an ignorant child. He can't wipe his nose without the vizier's advice." Laila said, gently wiping her face and fixing her eye make-up. Cleopatra hugged her.

"The vizier is one of the serpents my father was warning me about." Cleopatra said.

"Yes. You need to keep a close eye on him." Laila said. Cleopatra nodded. Laila handed her a glass of wine. "Conserve your strength. You have a lot of things to do in the next few days." Laila said. Cleopatra nodded and laid down on her bed. Laila sat on the couch near her bed and made sure that the ceremonial dress was clean and wrinkle-free. The queen and her handmaiden fell asleep as the moon rose above the Mediterranean Sea.

Cleopatra and her younger brother were married after the funeral of their father. "You need to consummate your union." The vizier said. Cleopatra laughed.

"In a few years, perhaps." Cleopatra said. Laila smiled. She and Cleopatra returned to the redecorated royal bedchamber. Laila helped her out of the clothes and Cleopatra bathed. Laila and the other ladies in waiting dried her off with soft towels. They rubbed coconut oil on her skin and combed her hair.

"My queen, do you want your hair braided?" Laila asked.

"Yes, please." Cleopatra said. Laila braided her hair into a crown around her head. "Perfect. Thank you." Cleopatra said, admiring her reflection.

"You're welcome." Laila said. She sat on her new bed and fell asleep after Cleopatra fell asleep.

Cleopatra took Laila with her to tour the kingdom. The Egyptian people adored their new queen. Cleopatra was the only one of the Ptolemies who spoke their language. "The Nile isn't flooding as much as usual." Cleopatra said.