Chapter One

My alarm blared through the dream, a rude awakening from a deep sleep. I jolted awake, blinking off the last dregs of sleep that clung to my mind and coming back around to reality. My room was lit by the light that slipped through the thin curtains. I sighed as I reached over, turning off my alarm and wrapping the blanket snugly around myself, letting out a tiny sigh. I allowed myself to be gripped again by the warmth of sleep, my eyelids slowly drifting shut, before allowing myself one last second of dark warmth under my covers. I pulled the blanket off myself, shivering slightly as the cold crept into my pyjamas. First day back after summer, that had to be a big deal, or something. I heard my twin sister's crappy pop music blaring in the other room and I groaned, heaving myself out of bed and beginning to get ready for the day ahead. I opened my walk-in wardrobe, god I loved being rich, and selected an outfit. I wanted something... hot... something that would catch attention without getting myself dress coded, a difficult task indeed. The New Year hadn't even begun and I was already sick of the dress code. I slipped into a pair of mini shorts, just knowing I'd regret it later with the fast-approaching fall chills, and then i selected an oversized sports-club hoodie from my athletics club. I glanced in the mirror, quickly applying makeup. Just because I was a "jock", didn't mean I didn't deserve to look pretty, I thought as I brought a brush through my long, golden hair again and again, working through tugs and tangles. I grinned at myself in the mirror, before grabbing my school bag, striding out of the room, closing my door with a bang.

The breakfast bar was stocked with food, and my twin was sitting eating, whilst mom chopped fruits. "Morning mom!" I called, my voice cheery as my eyes scanned my food options. "Hey Gretchen," I nodded to my twin. She raised her eyebrows, casting my a sceptical look, "Someone's in a good mood." She spoke, her eyebrows remaining fixed. She was wearing a tiny skirt, a skirt that was cut lower than her grades and a green tank. Whilst we had plenty of similarities in appearance, we could never have been confused for identical twins. Her hair fell in dark brown ringlets while mine was straight and a golden-blonde colour. We had the same nose and the same almost gray, blue eyes with long eyelashes. My lips were a tad thinner than hers and my shoulders were broader, "sports-woman shoulders," Is what mom called them. Gretchen, however, never hesitated to tell me about my "unattractive man-shoulders," Which, according to her, was the reason I'd never find a "cute guy." I thought the guys I'd dated so far were pretty conventionally cute, though I'd only ever dated to get my sister and friends off my back. I just wasn't interested in boys I supposed, I was busy and the awkward sloppy kisses behind the school and on sports pitches were more of a necessity to maintain my social status rather than anything else. I responded to her comment, "Excited for a new year I suppose," I offered a grin. I could see her shrug as she popped another piece of mango into her mouth, dismissive as always. "Come on Gretch, lighten up a little! Another couple of months for you to suck up to Regina George while she treats you like shit." I meant for it to sound light and perhaps even funny but it came off as harsh. I opened my mouth to apologise but before I could speak, Gretchen practically leapt out of her seat, storming away, "I'm going to wait in the car." She hissed. 'meh,' I shrugged, my sister had always been one to overreact to the little things. I stuffed a handful of grapes into my mouth, and jogged passed my mom. She glanced at me, smiling at my antics as I left.

After an insanely awkward ten minute car journey where Gretchen continued to sulk and glare at the floor and I attempted to make conversation with my dad, NorthShore High came into view. I saw kids milling about the gates and trailing into school and my excitement practically died on the spot. I suppose a boring summer with my family had made me sort of... romanticise the school I suppose, but now, looking at the very stereotypical, dull highschool stretching in front of me, I finally remember what the past four years of NorthShore life had been like. I grabbed my bag from the seat next tome, Gretchen had insisted on riding shotgun and I wasn't in the mood to argue with her at the time. I heard her hiss at dad "Dad, just pull in here, I don't want anyone to see that my parents drive one of these!!" She referenced the brown Range-Rover that we were currently sitting in. While I understood that it wasn't exactly the classiest car, I couldn't help but wrinkle my nose at Gretchen's tone with my dad. I almost hoped he would lecture her but he didn't, he just sighed wearily. "Sure honey." Gretchen sighed, "Why cant we have a cool car..."She mumbled and I shot daggers at her. She pointedly ignored me. I hopped out of the car, swinging my tattered backpack onto my back, "Bye dad!!" I trilled, slamming the door. Gretchen however elegantly 'bounced' from the passenger side, her brand new, expensive bag on her back and her inappropriately large heals causing her to stumble slightly. She didn't even thank our dad for the lift to school. Brat. I resisted the temptation to give her a little shove and make her fall in those ridiculous little shoes. Nope, I didn't need to push her down; she'd have the plastics to do that for her all day long, and for the rest of the year. I allowed myself a shred of satisfaction at that thought as I strolled toward the front doors; I'd decided this was going to be a good day.