Shining My Love on You

Start from the beginning

The familiar shop then approaches. He hears that same radio playing, it's static seeming louder today. The doors are open, but no one joins her inside, so she spends her shift feeling the music instead. The shelf in front of her is just nearly stocked before she can't help but dance to the beat coming from the front of the store. She moves slowly in place, twirling her wrists out to her sides. The window behind her allows the pastel pink and yellow of the sunrise glow to outline her body, nothing but a faint shadow apparent to the man's eyes. He can't stop himself from staring in amazement, hypnotized and inspired by her body.

As she turns, he makes her out clearer now. Her large hoop earrings graze the side of her throat as she sensually rolls it to the song, beaded hair braids tapping together along her spine. The charm around her neck falls into the divot of her chest next to the small drops of sweat that dew the surface of her skin. He lets himself take in every detail of her beauty down to the very colors of the beads around her waist. The small glass spheres peek out over her skirt as she stretches her arms out above her head; one color for fertility, one for vitality, one for love.

She rotates once more in place before glancing up to notice him leaning against the front door with an enraptured expression. However, instead of jumping back in surprise, she lets out a small laugh, letting her arms fall back down to her sides. She feels her shoulders drop gently, feeling an odd sensation of relaxation in his presence. "Do you always spy?" She asks, cocking her head to the side.

He pauses for a moment, chuckling to himself with an endearing smirk as he looks down at her. "Do you ever not stare at a rainbow?"

She finds herself unable to say another word, finally allowing her lips to curl in a similar fashion.

"Warm day for dancing, don't you think?"

She shakes her head, taking small steps in his direction. "Never too warm for freedom."

He can only smile more. "I like that."

Her laugh makes a feeling in his chest become warmer than any Jamaican day.

Friday morning

The woman hangs laundry outside the yellow house, her cousins yelling in the yard next store as a small ball gets kicked around in the thick green grass.

The radio plays as it always does, filling her company enough as the rest of her family busies themselves with a game. Her feet move as they always do, filling her boredom as her hands repeat the same motion.

She picks up a small, worn red shirt, grasping a pin in her other hand. As she raises her arms, her eyes instinctively focus on something behind the clothes line, someone.

She chuckles, pinning the shirt to the line before giving him her full attention. "Back again." She states teasingly, walking from the laundry basket.

"Dancing again." He takes notice with excitement.

"Of course." She responds.

He stands in front of her gate, leaning his arms across the fence in wonder of crossing the other side. "I love that you can't help but dance." Her blush returns as does her gaze to the wet clothes to hide his affect on her, but this makes his mind wonder even more. "You're a very beautiful woman."

As she looks up, she's met with a more captivated and earnest face than she had previously gotten used to, but she snickers it off. "You've a habit of saying that nowadays."

He lets just barely a second pass between her words before he responds. "And I mean it more and more every time."

She laughs it off again, but her heart begins to speed faster with each word of cherishment she receives. "Is that why your eyes always trail my way."