Continuation of What It Means To Annotate: Examples Below P10

Beginne am Anfang

38: 61st diary entry annotated.
Saturday
Mas' Henley and Hince went to a horse race, and Uncle Heb drove Miz Lilly and William to a neighbor lady's house for the day. (25 words)
So, that meant I could slip into Mas' Henley's study to see the map without gettin' caught. (17 words, God's gift for her patience her curious answers, sweet Skylights and a period of less turmoil and tension as well to find them with.)
I found the same names I'd written down — the places where abolitionists live. (13 words)
First, there was the Philadelphia, then the New York, and the Boston. (12 words)
I found the Richmond and lots of other places I heared Uncle Heb and Hince talk 'bout. (17 words.)
But that's all I can understand 'bout the map. (9 words)
All the lines stand for somethin' I know, but I don't know yet what they stand for. (17 words, I believe she is referring too longitude and latitude lines people hardly teach about those things anymore today.)
I wrote down as many names off that map as I could get on a sheet of paper, so when I write the names they will be spelled right. (29 words, smart but also quite risky as well; a good portion of people's lives are guaranteely have been filled with necessary risks, Skylights.)
All these words got to do with freedom, so I'm hopin' all over myself that they will give me a picture of freedom. (23 words, freedom is not that kind of word.)

39: 62nd diary entry annotated.
Sunday
The river is high, and the lowlands are flooded. (9 words.) Rufus talked about the Great Flood. (6 words) Noah and his family went inside the ark and God, himself, locked the door. (14 words) Noah and all the animals were safe inside the ark. (10 words)
Then the rain started fallin'. (5 words) And  the waters came a-gushin' up out of the ground and everythin' and everybody was drowned. (16 words.)
All 'cept'n, Noah, his family, and the animals. (8 words)
Everybody say, Amen. (3 words)
I really didn't understand the story. (6 words, whoever does when they first hear the words, Skylights? Especially for the first time, encountering every Bible lesson you're not supposed to understand it the very first time that is why Scripture can draw you back in when you've been a part from it so very long.)
I couldn't see in my mind the world all under water. (11 words, it is hard to imagine when your town doesn't encounter tsunamis like towns on the other side of the world do when the Monsoon season comes on rolling in, Skylights.
It's like this. (3 words)
I read the words over William's shoulder sometimes, but I don't all the time get what the words mean. (19 words)
Then Rufus told us his new little son was named Noah, 'cause God saved Noah from the drownin' waters. (19 words, awwwh, how cute and Precious to name him after an old faithful man in the Bible himself Skylights.)
"God's gon' save us one day, too — but I'm talkin' 'bout bein' saved in the Biblistic way," he said. "Amen." (20 words)

40: 63rd diary entry annotated.
Monday
I just got one thing to ask — Why did God let mosquitoes get on the ark? (16 words, I never seen anyone else ask this question no matter how annoying they find mosquitoes, Skylights. Lol, now that's a hilarious and serious question!!!!)

41: 64th diary entry annotated.
Sunday week — second Sunday in June
All week we worked and waited for Sunday. (8 words)
June heat feels hotter than the same heat in May. (10 words)
It was hard to sit still while Rufus told the story of David. (13 words, I imagine it would be, Skylights.)
When David was 'bout my age, he was a shepherd boy. (11 words)
He stood down a giant named Goliath with a slingshot and five smooth stones. (14 words)
"We must be like David," Rufus told us. (8 words)
"When we find ourselves facin' a giant, we must not run, but face the monster with the courage of David." (20 words)
Everybody said "Amen," even me. (5 words)
But, I didn't feel strong enough to beat up on a giant. (12 words, nobody human wise ever is, Skylights.)
Rufus tells good stories, but I just don't understand what makes them so great. (14 words)
First thing afterwards, Missy come switchin' up to Hince grinnin'. (10 words, what a pestering lady.)
I don't like Missy much any more — and I don't think it has a thing to do with Spicy. (19 words, true, she's mean and her behavior is awkward and ugly.)
I just don't like the way she is. (8 words, you shouldn't.)

42: 64th diary entry annotated
Monday
It's June 17, 1859.
I know 'cause I slipped ink out of Mas' Henley's study today — and a newspaper that was in the trash.
Sometimes I surprise myself at the things I do just so I can keep learnin'.

43: 65th diary entry annotated.
Followin' Saturday
I am writin' by the light of a full moon. (10 words, it is just as easy to write under the full moon as it is to write in the sunshine too.)
There was a lot of excitement today. (7 words)
Mas' Henley and Hince rode in from Fredericksburg. (8 words) Been gone all week. (4 words) They brought back a beautiful stallion named Dancer, a gift for William. (12 words, the gift is nice, but—)
"He's all yours," the mas'er told his son. (8 words, a horse usually requires a spotter and rider today, and sometimes a side walker if the child is even younger than William, Skylights.)

Everybody knew Mas' Henley was just showin' off. (8 words)
The horse was really a racehorse and Hince would be the one who would ride and care for it. (19 words) But to keep Miz Lilly from fussin' 'bout turnin' Belmont into "a gamblin den,"
Mas' Henley pretended he bought the horse for William. (23 words, at least even the meanest person can dislike and disagree with a bad habit as bad as gambling is, Skylights.) It was so good to see Hince. (7 words)
As soon as he could get away from the stables, he came to the kitchen to speak. (17 words, of course he would rush to tell them all about his next racing horse.) He was full of Dancer talk — went on and on 'bout how he was goin' to win a hundred races ridin' him. (22 words)

Be glad this is fiction the hopes you have for Dancer only come true once and then the horse has to pay for a reckless child's decision. I am warning you for the rough chapter too soon to come. This horse won't live much longer and it is not because Master Henley did it out of hatred. He did the thing he had to do so as a to place a serious warning to William his own son. The man would have kept the horse. But temptation had to be destroyed for animal for recklessness not to occur a second time. Animal lovers this next chapter you will find hard to read and it may make you cry. But Master Henley did the right thing here with the horse, the Biblical right thing he taught William you have to have temptation being removed from your path sometimes if you can if it keeps leading you astray. I have always understand the author's lesson in that moment. You have one chapter left to be prepared.)