The writing on the wall

Start from the beginning

Harry was thankful for Blaise's quick thinking. Snape would have never believed the story about the voice. It was far too bizarre to be believed by anyone.

Millie chose the perfect moment to pull Mamon from Harry's hands, and began blubbering in earnest about the fate of her pet. Snape was forced to direct his attention elsewhere. Harry heard him mutter a quiet curse to himself, then he lifted his wand. Harry jumped back in surprise as a bright silver light burst from the end of the potion master's wand. It took the shape of a large, four-legged animal.

"We have an emergency," Snape said coolly to the spectral animal, "Summon the headmaster here."

Harry thought he recognized the shape of a deer as it cantered away, short tail flipped up behind it.

The deer out of sight, Snape turned to the message once again, glaring at the words, still wet and glistening as if they'd just been written.

"Did you see anyone?" he asked suddenly, staring at the wall rather than look at the three children.

"No, we didn't, we -"

"I was speaking to Mr. Potter," Snape replied, cutting Blaise short of his explanation.

Harry wasn't sure why he should be singled-out, though knowing Snape's hatred of him, he was mostly likely trying to catch Harry in a lie, so he could blame him for this whole mess.

"We didn't see anyone," Harry said with confidence, bracing himself for the assault, "We chased the cat here, and that's when we found the writing."

"And the cat?" asked Snape.

"He was hanging from that light," Harry said, pointing to the iron sconce on the wall, "Blaise took him down. It was upsetting Millie."

"That's funny, I thought you were chasing the cat's cries?" Snape said with a curl of his lip. Harry sensed trouble.

"I wonder," Snape continued, "How the culprit could have done this to the animal, left his message on the wall, and escaped without your notice?"

"If I knew how he did it, professor, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

They heard the tramping of several footsteps, and Albus Dumbledore appeared on the scene. He brought with him the other heads of houses – Professors Sprout, McGonagall, and Flitwick. To Harry's chagrin, Gilderoy Lockhart was hot at their heels. Why he had decided to come along was beyond Harry. The other teachers did not seem pleased to have him in their company, and Harry was not mistaken when he perceived another quiet curse emanate from Professor Snape.

"If it's the poltergeist again, I have a few spells I think would do just the trick. I was instrumental in the exorcism of the Pawtucket Poltergeist. All it took was a simple purification charm, and... Merlin's beard!"

Lockhart's boasting was cut short as the party approached the end of the corridor. Harry thought he saw his blooming complexion pale momentarily. Dumbledore took the opportunity granted by his sudden silence to ask Snape what had happened.

"Mr. Potter and his friends discovered it moments ago," Snape explained, "They claim they were chasing a cat, and it seems they found it."

Snape motioned carelessly to Millie, who had calmed her sobs but was still cradling the stiff form of Mamon. Dumbledore approached her and rested a kind hand on her shoulder.

"Ms. Bulstrode, if I may?" he asked gently.

Millie gave a mute nod and handed the cat to Dumbledore, who began inspecting it minutely through his half-moon spectacles. Harry assumed he was searching for injuries to account for the blood, and knew he would find none.