Chapter 1

Aemond ran around the pillar and panted. He closed his eyes and waited for what felt like forever before he finally moved from his hiding place. His older brother, Aegon, noticed the movement from where he was walking through the doorway and slowed to a stop. Aemond hadn't noticed him yet; he was still looking in the opposite direction as he backed up slowly.

His back hit Aegon's chest, and Aemond jumped as he turned around. Aegon began to laugh and bent over to try to suck air into his lungs.

"You should've seen your damn face, Aemond. What are you doing?"

"Hiding, obviously," Aemond grumbled as he shoved at Aegon. Aegon grinned and looked around the obviously empty room.

"Hiding from Lucela again, dear brother?" Aemond felt his shoulders creep up to his ears, and Aegon laughed again. "She's six, Aemond. She can't exactly do a lot of damage here."

"She never leaves me alone," Aemond complained as he stalked out of the room to go to the training yard. Lucela Velayron, twin sister to Lucerys Velayron, bane of Aemond's existence, and his secret crush. She was only two years younger than Aemond, and she felt the need to follow him everywhere and constantly pester him.

"She has a crush, you twat," Aegon teased as he shoved Aemond to the side. Aegon was only eleven, but he was much bigger than Aemond was. Aemond stumbled as he tried to keep himself upright and glared at his brother as he laughed.

"She needs to have a crush on someone else."

Aemond and Aegon walked outside and to the training yard. Ser Criston Cole, their mother's personal protector, turned when he noticed the two boys. Across the dirt field was Ser Harwin Strong, their sister, Rhaenyra's, sworn protector, along with Jacaerys and Lucerys.

"Bastards, the whole lot of them," Aegon grumbled as he looked at their nephews. It had been long suspected that Jace, Luce, and Luke were Ser Harwin Strong's children and not Rhaenyra's husband's, Laenor Velayron. Aemond stared at the two boys and thought of how Lucela looked and agreed with Aegon.

Jace's dark hair was straight, but Lucela and Luke's hair was curly, just like Ser Harwin's. Jace and Luke shared Harwin's brown eyes, but Lucela had violet eyes like the rest of the family. Out of the three siblings, she looked the most like a Targaryen while her brothers were all Strong. Harwin noticed Aemond staring and simply nodded. Aemond flushed and scurried over to Ser Criston.

King Viserys Targaryen, his father, was mostly absent from his life, as he was for Aegon and Helaena as well. Ser Criston Cole had stepped up to the plate and had practically raised Aemond. He smirked at the boy and tossed a wooden sword at him.

"Begin," Cole stated simply before he watched Aemond and Aegon spar against the dummies.

"Ser Harwin!" Aemond felt his shoulders reach his ears again as a voice rang out from across the yard. Lucela ran across the field to Harwin, and he was already crouched down to see what she wanted.

"Yes, Princess?"

"We need to pick out an egg! The babe will be here soon," Lucela whined as she tugged at his hand.

Aemond, Aegon, and Criston all stared at the girl and Harwin. Jace and Luke dropped their swords excitedly and looked at Harwin as well. Lucela glanced over at the small group before looking back to Harwin. She didn't like Criston Cole at all, and she knew that he didn't like her either. Aegon could be pretty mean to her as well, but he wasn't mean that often. Jace was worse sometimes. She liked Aemond and wanted to be his friend, but he didn't seem to like her very much.

Harwin took her small hand in his and led the group out of the training yard toward the direction of the Dragonpit. Aemond watched them leave silently before turning back to his dummy and smacking it with his sword.