The First Dance

Peter Parker felt like what he was doing was tantamount to superhero sacrilege. A superhero doesn't steal, he thought to himself. If they ever created a manual for costumed vigilantes, there should be a section that clearly classified this as wrong. For the second time in just as many months, Spider-Man was guilty of stealing. The first thing that he stole was the costume that he was currently wearing. It was designed by Oscorp Industries as a type of prototype stealth-suit to be used by genetically enhanced soldiers. It was a skin tight body suit complete with mask and polarized lenses. Then, the resourceful teen jazzed it up a little bit by dyeing the color scheme to red and blue. The only genetically enhanced person wearing it, was of course, him. Several months ago Peter Parker was just a lonely, sad teenager attending a science exhibit at the Oscorp Tower in Manhattan. Then, fate intervened. A genetically modified spider escaped from the laboratory on the fortieth floor of the building. Somehow the spider found its way to him. One bite later and his DNA had been fundamentally altered. Now, the young man had amazing spider-like powers and abilities. Six months later he was a real life superhero. Right now, however, he was just a thief. Spider-Man was just a few stories above a McDonalds in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. After exiting the restaurant, a middle aged man was stunned as his bag of take out food got ripped right out of his hands.

"What the heck just happened?" he wondered out loud.

A well aimed webbing cable adhered to his large bag of food and the masked teen pulled it up about three stories to where he was sticking to the wall. The famished teenager felt as though he had a decent reason for doing this, though. He was hungry. Very hungry. The kind of starving that makes your stomach do flip flops. Peter had spent the entire morning searching the city for a giant lizard creature that he had battled a couple of weeks ago, so he didn't have time to eat. The problem was that his regular clothing was ten blocks away behind a dumpster in an alley and he didn't bring his wallet with him.

"I'm really sorry, sir." the teenage boy yelled down to him. "Just tell me your address and I'll send you the cash. Seriously, I feel really bad about this."

He didn't respond. A stunned look was all Peter got as the man stared up at him. Finally, he smiled like he'd just seen Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. The teenage hero didn't feel so bad now, so he crawled back up to the top of the roof. It must have been his lucky day because the man liked the same types of things on the McDonald's menu as the teenage boy. Peter's legs were dangling off the top of the building while devouring the cheeseburger.

It was a brisk Sunday afternoon in New York and the teen had spent most of the morning searching the sewers of Manhattan for that lizard creature that he had battled at Oscorp Tower last week. Peter thought that it was a good thing that his red and blue stealth suit was easy to wash and clean, because the smell in the sewers was atrocious. After four hours of searching, he decided to call it a day. Peter really needed to get home and study for a Biology exam that he had on Monday. That and other thoughts continued to occupy his mind as he swung onto the roof of a moving bus. As the teenager sat cross legged on top of a commuter bus headed back to his home in Forest Hills, he went through a list of unanswered questions that were still on his mind. He wondered what was really going on at Oscorp Industries. Was that giant lizard the result of some kind of failed experiment? What about the explosion at The Marvelous? Gwen Stacy had promised to try and pull some strings with her father at the New York police department and get some answers regarding the incident a few weeks ago. Was it related to the things that were happening at Oscorp? And then of course, there were all the lingering questions in his personal life. After saving Mary Jane from the explosion at the Marvelous, they shared an intimate kiss on the roof of a nearby building. However, he foolishly told Mary Jane that he loved her. It made him worry that she would figure out that the person beneath the mask was actually Peter Parker.