15

Alena jerked back. Her abrupt and almost violent reaction caused her head to hit the hard wood of the desk... No, she didn't collide with the table. She felt something else—his hand?!

Her already widened eyes seemed to stretch even more, if that was possible, as she looked at him. He really had shielded her head! How? How did he even... did he anticipate that almost instinctive move as well? But more importantly, why? Why did he do that? Why had he bothered to intervene in such a protective manner as if... as if he didn't want her to get hurt?

He withdrew his hand as she continued to stare at his face, disbelievingly. But the lack of perceptible emotion on his face at that moment quickly made her mind snap back to reality. No... this cunning man must've done that for a reason, a reason she believed would be something soulless—as soulless as those emotionless eyes of his. Whatever he was trying to achieve by doing what he was doing right now, she would never let him have it. Never. She'd kill him first before he won whatever game he's playing!

"Pervert," Alena then muttered under her breath. Her eyes were fierce again as she finally regained her composure when the duke responded.

"I am not the one voluntarily kneeling there under my desk, between my legs, and blushing, Duchess," he stated, causing Alena's face to flush once again.

The way he spoke so calmly and the way his demeanor remained completely unbothered only served to fan the flames of Alena's irritation. It was truly infuriating that she was the only one getting all worked up and affected while this man was just right there, looking down at her with that face made of stone!

Desperate to hide the embarrassment his words had elicited, Alena swung her fist at his side as hard as she could. To her delight, he didn't stop the attack. Did he really miss that? Or did he deliberately not bother himself to stop her? He must've thought a punch from a woman was nothing, right?

No matter the case, Alena smiled because she felt how hard that punch was. She had felt his body react slightly to the impact, so she was certain that the infuriating indifference on his face was now completely wiped away.

However, his expression remained unchanged—not a single wince or grimace to betray any discomfort.

It was maddening how he could remain so stoic and so infuriatingly composed, but Alena was yet to give up and accept defeat.

"Guess I should aim lower next time," she smirked, glancing at his crotch before holding his gaze again. "I'm certain that should definitely elicit an expression from your emotionless face, right, Duke?" she added, her voice dripping with challenge and bravado.

In a swift, unexpected movement, the Duke reached out and pressed his thumb against her lips, taking Alena by surprise. "Dare and do it, Duchess. But don't cry if I'll have this mouth of yours soothe the pain with pleasure," he replied in a voice so low that Alena just felt unwanted goosebumps run across her skin.

"What a real perv..." she hissed. But her resolve not to be outdone by this big bad stone forced her to compose herself.

Lifting her chin, she shot back, "Dare do it, Duke. I'll make sure to soothe the pain by biting it off."

Alena's eyes then shone with a triumphant glint, reveling in the small victory of matching his provocations with her own. Though he still didn't make any visible reaction, Alena was convinced that her retort was what definitely silenced him! There's just no way that line did nothing to him, right?

But then the duke she thought was rendered speechless replied. "Bite it off, you say? Duchess, I wasn't aware you were into raw meat."

___

a/n: Read in advance in patreon. Link>> https://www.patreon.com/kazzen_webnovel