Chapter 2

Erin whipped the rag out of Mary Ellen's hand and took charge of drying the dinner dishes with an exasperated comment about never getting dessert if Mary Ellen were left to finish the chore on her own.

"I'm going to sit on the porch for a spell," John-Boy announced. "Want to come with me, Mary Ellen?"

"You may as well for all the good you're doing here tonight," Erin cut in. "But you owe me an evening of drying all of the dishes for this."

"Just so long as we don't catch sight of that panther," Mary Ellen agreed hesitantly.

The warm August air was pushing a storm across the Blue Ridge mountains that evening. Dropping down to sit on the porch step, Mary Ellen caught a glimpse of lightning snagging across the distant sky.

"What's gotten into you, Mary Ellen?" John-Boy asked after the squeaky screen door swung shut behind him. "Are you really so shaken about seeing a panther?"

"It wasn't the panther." Avoiding her brother's steady gaze, Mary Ellen peered into the darkness.

"What was it then?"

"John-Boy, what does it feel like to be in love?"

"What?" He chortled amusedly as he leaned on the porch railing.

"Well, I don't know." Mary Ellen stood and shoved her hands into her overall pockets. "I mean, is this how it happens? I was scared out of my wits, and there he was in complete control and never thinking twice about how much danger we were in before he jumped into action like some great hero. It was just like in the movies."

"Who are you talking about?"

John-Boy seemed genuinely confused; but his question irritated Mary Ellen, and her impatience made her uncertain of her feelings.

She lowered her voice and looked closely at her brother.

"Sheriff Bridges."

John-Boy remained silent as he contemplated her response.

"I knew you wouldn't understand!" Mary Ellen turned away. "Everyone wants me to get married so I can sew and cook and clean for the rest of my life. But now that I think I've fallen in love, they'll all tell me it's wrong. You just wait and see."

Footsteps drew nearer to the front of the house and John-Boy dropped his voice.

"You've never shown any interest in Sheriff Bridges before."

"Is it insane for a girl to suddenly notice someone after he saves her life? Promise me you won't tell Daddy or Mama," her words picked up speed and she eyed the door anxiously.

John-Boy sucked in his breath and let it out slowly, prompting his sister to repeat her plea for his silence.

"All right," he assented. "At least for now. But you had better give this some serious thought, Mary Ellen."

"Believe me, John-Boy, I can't think of anything else."

~~*~~

"Why, Mary Ellen Walton. You've gone and put your hair up like a fine young lady." Olivia watched her daughter walk downstairs.

"Careful, Mama," Mary Ellen chided and ducked away as Olivia reached out to finger the pinned-up locks. "It took me forever to get it just so."

"Well, you certainly look lovely. I declare, I can hardly keep up with how quickly my children are growing."

The Ford truck slowed near the Baptist church, and the gaggle of Walton kids clambered from its bed. Mary Ellen hung back when she spotted Sheriff Bridges approaching them.