Together But Different

Requested by Lalya12367

~~~

Land of the Dead, 2018

There was a certain strange-familiarity that came with rekindling old relationships... particularly when that relationship was surrounded by betrayal, hurt, and murder.

It felt odd to be walking side-by-side with her husband after all these years. It was unusual, but at the same time it was very familiar to them both.

The markets in the Land of the Dead weren't the same as the ones back in Santa Cecilia, but it was nice all the same. Food was a delicacy for the dead—not a necessity. Still, the Riveras tried to treat themselves to family meals every so often. Tonight was going to be a very special dinner.

It was going to be their first dinner as a complete family.

That's what brought Imelda to the market. She needed to buy groceries for that evening's dinner. And Héctor went with her. To help of course.

"What's on the list again?"

Imelda took their grocery list out of her apron for what must have been the fourth time. "Once again, we are here for refried beans, tomate, and lechuga."

"Got it," Héctor nodded and turned to scan the different vendor booths for the ingredients they needed.

Rosita was planning on making her famous tostados. They had always been a favorite in the Rivera house. She was very excited to share them with Héctor.

As the two of them hunted for the things they needed, Imelda realized that she was the only one who was really looking. Héctor's head was turning in every direction, even completely behind them. It looked as if everything was demanding his attention. He began to wander off towards a vendor selling handmade artesanía.

Imelda rolled her eyes and grabbed her husband, dragging him away by the arm. "Don't make me hold your hand like you're my child."

"Can you hold my hand like I'm your husband?" Héctor slid her hand down from his forearm to fit in his hand. She instinctively curled her fingers around his, holding him tightly.

The two of them had reestablished hand-holding a while ago. It was becoming normal again, but like everything else it was slightly different. Imelda held onto him tighter than before, like she was afraid that he would disappear if she was too relaxed. Héctor didn't hold any more tightly but he was always the last to let go, making the most of any time they had.

The pair of them wandered around the market hand-in-hand until Imelda found what they needed. She approached the vendor so she could pay for their food. At some point Héctor disappeared from her side, but she didn't notice until the groceries were paid for. She reached for his hand only to find that he wasn't there. Her eyes widened slightly as she caught her breath.

"Gracias, señora." The merchant had no clue how intensely panicked his patron was.

"Imelda!"

His voice immediately calmed her nerves. Imelda whirled around to face him, ready to scold him for disappearing on her... but before she could get the words out she noticed what he was holding.

It was a paper flower—a purple dahlia. He was holding it with a proud smile, offering it to her. "For you."

Any lecture she was about to give vanished from her lips. She took the paper flower gently, being careful not to crease or bend it.

"Thank you," Imelda looked up to meet his eyes. For a moment things felt as simple as they used to. Before they had been torn away from each other. Before... everything.