Chapter 20

The small inn room offered a temporary reprieve from the relentless journey. Lily decided to take a moment to freshen up, disappearing into the bathroom with a towel in hand. As she immersed herself in the act of refreshing, the tranquility was shattered by Emily's sudden, thunderous scream.

"Lily, you dipshit!" echoed through the room, prompting Lily to dash out of the bathroom, her wet hair clinging to her shoulders, and a towel hastily wrapped around her. As Emily's eyes met Lily's, a fleeting blush crossed her face, quickly replaced by irritation.

"Can you never do anything right?" Emily snapped, her gaze pointedly directed at the lone bed in the room.

"As if you didn't do it yourself, you fuck," Lily retorted, her frustration matching Emily's.

Frustrated and unwilling to engage in a prolonged argument, Lily stormed back into the bathroom, slammed the door shut, and locked it. Inside, the sound of running water followed, as Emily assumed Lily was preparing to take a bath.

Deciding to make use of the time, Emily sighed, realizing that the bathroom would likely be occupied for a while. She began changing into her pajamas, opting for shorts and a tight-fitting t-shirt that accentuated her muscles. The fabric clung to her frame, revealing the physical strength she carried.

Meanwhile, in the bathroom, Lily pondered the situation. A strange sense of relief washed over her as she realized she had forgotten to inquire about a room with a double bed. She knew the innkeeper had sensed the animosity between her and Emily, and perhaps the arrangement was intentional.

With her own emotions swirling, Lily emerged from the bathroom, her eyes widening at the sight of Emily. Unaware of Lily's presence, Emily stood by the window, the contours of her muscles accentuated by the tight t-shirt. A subtle blush graced Lily's cheeks as she observed Emily.

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, Lily quietly slipped into the bed, burying her face in the covers to hide her blushing expression. The room, though dimly lit, held an atmosphere charged with unspoken tension and a delicate dance of emotions between two individuals bound by circumstance and, perhaps, a hint of something more complex.