Chapter two

After my masterful escape I strolled around the outside of the house, venturing closer to the forest and then walking away from it, like a small curious child who wasn't quite sure what to think of the looming forest in front of her.

"Come on Harper. It's just some trees." I told myself aloud, not fearing anyone over hearing me as I edged closer to the close knit trees. The strong smell of different trees cleared my nose of that ghastly cheese smell, and I walked closer, quicker to the trees.

Anything to escape the thoughts of that day, the boy in the window, the new house, the lack of dinner, that disappointment that hung over me like a dark cloud of bad luck.

Getting braver as I neared the trees, I ran into them, hoping that if my dad was watching, he might come running, trying to stop me from entering the unknown. Adrenaline rushed through me like water through my veins, my heart beat increased as the trees got thicker, the light began to dim, and the thorns and thistles wrapped themselves around my clothing. Clinging onto me, catching my exposed skin and leaving their visible marks, tiny little scratches that neither hurt not interested me, but tickled. I hit a small glen, carved almost perfectly with the trees that twisted together on the opposite side; the mossy banks sloped and rose with a small stream trickling through them. My breath caught at the site of such a beautiful place, it didn't fit in almost, and I moved forwards.

The smell was enchanting, water, dewy moss and a fresh scent. Like a spring morning. It smelled clean, cleansed, and pure. Only now did I hesitate, a rustling noise above me had caught my attention and I looked up, seeing the sky where I expected to see trees, the glen was perfectly round, open to the heavens. That explained the thick springy moss and the trickling stream. I relaxed, sitting down on the moss and closing my eyes.

How long I sat there alone was beyond me, I opened my eyes every so often and saw the sky had changed colour, from pale blue, to pinky violet colours of sun set, a rich navy blue had seeped in at some point, and then the sparkling stars, twinkling with all their glory and might.

"Lovely isn't it?" A voice asked as my eyes closed for the last time, and I seized up.

The voice has come from around the edge of the glen; I opened my eyes slowly, scanning the immediate area before me, before realising that the lack of light made it harder. The voice chuckled and I started to panic, just a little pit of panic in my stomach. I stood, pulling myself to my full height and turning around slowly.

"Show yourself." I tried to say without the panic seeping into my voice. Another chuckle. Either I had kept the panic out, or they found my demeanour funny. I frowned and turned slowly, waiting for them to show themselves.

He stepped from the shadows near the close knit trees, eyes sparkling mischievously in the dark, his face was pulled into a smirk and he let out another bought of chuckles. I took in his appearance, his dark hair fell into his amber eyes, but not in front of them and neither did it block them, it merely fell into them. His face was impish, like he would pull a fast prank on you and leave you suffering for a few short minutes while he gleefully laughed. My heart almost stopped when I realised it was him.

The boy from my reflection.

The one I had sworn had been me dreaming...

"You" I choked out, surprised and panic entered my voice and I swallowed hard. I breathing hard as I stared at him, this wondrous boy who just appeared

"What about me?" He shrugged nonchalantly, looking me over quickly with those eyes before returning his gaze to my eyes. A small satisfied smirk appeared on his face.

"You... the window, you were in the window!" I exclaimed as my words made no sense, and he chuckled, the small smirk widened

"You're funny. But I don't know what you're on about" he said, and I managed to detect honesty in his words. I narrowed my eyes scornfully, and tried to order my words, pushing the thoughts of him in the window to the back of my mind.