Chapter 7: Never Let Go

Start from the beginning

You couldn't help but give a sardonic smile.

A chance, huh...

You never had a chance. You couldn't even believe you had any opportunity that didn't include fighting for it since you were born.

"Thanks for all your help thus far, Commander."

He scoffed, grabbing his pen from the fountain it sat in.

"Yeager, this isn't any special treatment," he rumbled quietly. His eyes met yours, "If you don't make it back for whatever reason—I'll carry on like it's another day."

You smiled a little.

"I wouldn't think you'd do anything else, Sir."

He made a face indicating he was annoyed by your statement before dismissing you and telling you to call Eduard to speak with him. He must be getting the briefing, too, then.

You stood quietly outside the office, staring out at the courtyard before getting ready to busy yourself for a bit.

That's right if you were gone, it would just be another day.

And today was just that—another day.

==

"Hey, can I come in?"

You didn't wait for a reply and opened the door, seeing Bernhardt, Yvo, and Ded sitting at the round table of his office.

"You could come in," the oldest male muttered.

You gave a cheeky smile, zoning in on the two youths sitting across from him. "Sorry to interrupt your little man chat, but these two need to come with me."

Bernhardt must've been tired of you, having seen you not even two hours ago.

He sighed and dragged a hand down his face, lingering it around his mouth as he mumbled into it. "Yeah, sure, take 'em. You probably are going to, even if I say no."

"You should do a better job disciplining me then, Deer Captain," you teased slightly, gesturing for the two teens to stand.

Bernhardt grunted, "Don't call me that..."

"Leave the man alone, [Name]," Ded said to you as they walked to the door frame you stood under, "You've run him into the ground with that nickname."

"Eh? I have not—" You found yourself sputtering around Yvo's hand and being dragged out by him with an arm on your waist.

"Thanks for the advice," Ded said, waving goodbye to him while you tried to ask Yvo to let you go into his palm. He smelled like gunpowder; he may have been helping with the armory tests earlier.

Finally, the giant let you go once Ded closed the door, and you crossed your arms and glared half-heartedly at the two.

"Becoming chummy with the Man-Deer now, are we," you muttered.

Ded poked your forehead, an amused look on his face. "Why? Does that bother you?"

You leered at him through squinted eyes, "No, just remembered that you're too scared to talk to girls, so you must run to big-bro Bern for advice."

Ded reached to mess your hair up, and you blocked him, only for him to poke your neck.

"And that is why you have no...boyfriend!"

"I don't want one! Hey—not there! Not there—! Ack!"

Yvo blinked wearily at your behavior, fixing the front of his trench coat. "Was there a reason you wanted us out here?"