𝟏.

I always valued self-sufficiency, it meant I did what I needed for myself and no one would owe me. Ironically having believed that, it was my purpose to help others, to put an end to evil as much as I was able.
I was pulled out of the police academy, brought into the secret service of The United States Strategic Command without option. The purpose of this organization was to fight weapons of mass destruction and bio organic weapons.
I trained for so long it felt endless. I was determined to endure and pass my training, and once I did, I was prepared to go out onto the field.

August, 2004, I read over the report of my next mission. The goal was to rescue the president's daughter, who was kidnapped by this cult in Spain. I was put on the mission with a partner, Leon Scott Kennedy. which sounded familiar, but I wasn't able to put a name to a face. We would be escorted to the suspected location of the culprits, and from then on we'd have to take the liberty to investigate where the president's daughter, Ashley Graham, was taken.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

I adjusted my seating position, silent in the backseat of a cop car beside my partner, Leon.

He had icy blue eyes that were sharp and demanding, his pink lips were defined as was his jaw line. He had very strong features, and an even stronger figure. His broad shoulders looked as though they could carry the weight of the world, his biceps were toned and large, and his dark blonde hair was cut to a fringe that covered the side of his face when he looked out the window of the moving cop car. I tried not to stare too long, and instead just glanced down at his thick brown jacket with fur at the collar, thinking about how warm it looked and that it was perfect for a chilly night like this. When his head moved from resting on his hand, I immediately averted my gaze to my boots as to not look too obvious.

I noticed him holding the image of Ashley, it was a sweet image of her posing with a kind smile. He notices me looking down at it and holds it closer between us so we could both look at it.

"That's the girl?"
I mutter to him

"Yeah, thats her."
he responded, his voice was breathy and low.

I nodded, and tried to go back to my thoughts when one of the police officers spoke up,

"So, tell me, why did you come to this horrible place, as close to nowhere as I've ever seen?"
the officer in the passengers seat inquired

"Let's just say- We're looking for someone."
Leon put away the image and looked to the police officer.

"That someone must be very important, eh?
The chief gave the orders himself. 'Help him,' he said."

"I'm sure you boys didn't come all the way out here to roast marshmallows."
Leon remarked, making me raise my eyebrows and scoff when the police started laughing.

"Well, maybe they did."
I mumbled, taking in the subtle pride on Leon's face from making the officers laugh. Was he always this sarcastic? The cop leaned back to talk to us again,

"You two have a strange sense of humor, so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. A lot of people have been going missing around here, and it's been that way for a while now."

I fidget with my fingers, leaning back into the seat. The rest of the car ride is quiet for the most part, and when we arrive, the cop we were speaking to steps out to relieve himself. The driver holds a pack of cigarettes and offers a smoke to Leon. Leon waves him off and they both look at me.

"No thank you sir."
I nodded, tugging my sleeve further down my wrist, and after about five minutes it starts to seem like the cop is taking a while to come back.

"He sure is taking his time, did he fall in?"
the driver jokes, blowing out a plume of smoke from his cigarette.

"Maybe you two better go look."

I shake my head and scoot to exit when Leon steps out from the cop car, holding the door open for me.

"Helpful."
Leon remarks, stepping away from the car as I walk along side him.

"Uh huh"
I agree, and he looks down at me with an expression I can't quite read.
We walk for a while and although it should be the last thing I am thinking about, I can't help but want to know more about Leon. He was stoic and said few words to me, but never disregarded me nonetheless.