"A few weeks ago, I may have let it slip that I know you. I told him we were close friends, but that's it, I promise!" I let out a sigh of relief as she rambled her reassurance. "His eyes lit up like Christmas lights. He's told me a whole bunch of stories." She grinned like a fool.

"Oh, no." I scrunched my eyes with a chuckle as my mind flicked through the catalogue of memories. "What's he told you?"

"How you guys would go to space and save the world." I just smile as I think of all the times we did that stuff. "He also told me about the time you guys were so mad at your parents that you turned your anger into a competition to see who could stay underwater the longest."

"I was so mad at Steve after that. I had already won, but I wanted to see how far I could push it. Steve wasn't thrilled with that idea and pulled me to the surface before it was too late because he panicked." I recalled, remembering every emotion I felt.

"Stubborn as ever." Robin jested as she moved from her desk and sat beside me.

"Hey, we were 9! I was completely ready to die on that hill - or rather in his pool."  We just giggled.

"He's always asking about you." She continued as the laughter died down. "Wanting to know that you're okay. He really misses you. Even a blind man could see that. And who can blame him? I miss you every time I close my eyes."

After so many years apart, a big part of me was shocked to learn that Steve still cared about me. I hadn't talked about a memory like that in such a long time. I was a mess of emotions, though I tried to hide it. After that conversation, I spent some time convincing myself to go to Scoops and talk to Steve. The next thing I knew, the mall burned down before I got a single scoop. Maybe it was a sign that the time wasn't right. I don't know.

Everything suddenly became hectic after that. Even though I finally felt ready, I just never had the time because I was trying to get everything sorted out. After a job hunting struggle, Robin landed at Family Video. Naturally, Steve followed. It's a lot less busy than Scoops, but it sounds like they spent more time goofing off than working. Maybe Family Video is the better fit.

Today is the day. After years, I'm finally going to face Steve again. I told Robin that I'd pick her up after work. That way, I'm more likely to stick to my word. I've been parked outside of the Family Video for about 20 minutes, trying to control my nerves. I always thought that Steve would be the first person I came out to, but everything changed so fast that I never got the chance. He accepted Robin. I can only hope he'd accept me. Do I even tell him? We haven't spoken in years. I'll see how things go.

"Come on, Y/N." I mutter to myself.

With a deep breath, I exit my car and try to shake things off as I approach the store. Why am I so riddled with anxiety? It's Steve. The same Steve who ran to me crying because Joe Parker threw the flower he picked on the floor when we were 4. The same Steve who comforted me when some teenagers destroyed my sandcastle when we were 7. The same Steve who always knew where to find me when I was upset and who would stay with me in my tree house for hours on end as if the rest of the world didn't exist. It's Steve. It's gonna be okay.

"No way! Y/N!" He springs to life.

"Hey, Harrington!" Immediately, my nerves fizzle away at his childlike excitement.

"I can't believe you're here, I haven't seen you in years." He rushes around the counter and engulfs me in a tight hug.

"I know." I take in the familiar feeling.

"How are you?" He asks as he returns to his position.

"Good. Constantly stressed and overwhelmed, but good." I lean against the counter.