Chapter Four: Proud Mom

As we strode into the throne room of Elysion, the Councillors gave the slightest hint of a gasp then straightened and thrust their noses into the air.

Callidora sat with her legs crossed on her throne, sharpening her arrows. She looked casually at us, giving me a tiny wink and a smile.

Seraphel was beaming with pride, and Pyralis was leaning on others' thrones, telling the fellow Councillors that Nyssa was his daughter and she'd beaten Khione. Apparently, news spread fast in Elysion.

"Settle down, everyone," Heliara's voice echoed. "I have come to know that you snuck in without our knowledge." She cast a glance at Seraphel, who was glaring at her. "But I also understand that you have done something no other child of Seraphel has. So for this, I excuse you from all wrongs."

Seraphel stood and coughed for attention.

"My daughter has only achieved her goal because she had her friends next to her. All my other children ventured on this same quest alone. Good job, Diana. You have made me proud. I would also like to address the child of Pyralis. Young Nyssa, you are a brave girl. I observed your resilience and loyalty. You fought well. Congratulations on discovering your power. Control it well. Nyra, you—"

"Hold up, everyone!" Solaris cut her off. "She's mine to 'address'! She's a child of a Healer, so technically I'm her mom's boss. Nyra, you have done me and your mother proud. Great job! I know how hard quests can be. I hereby grant you the honour of being called my friend! Great job!"

Solaris is very clever like that.

Slowly, everyone in the group was addressed. Zuri got to talk to Heliara for a while, and Pyralis gave Nyssa a special suit of armour.

"Um, may I have your attention?" I called awkwardly, not exactly sure how to address the Councillors. "I would like to say something. If not for Councillor Seraphel, my mother, this quest would not have been possible. In gratitude I give you the Sword Of Wisdom, with which you defeated Tartarus and Khione all those years ago."

Seraphel smiled proudly, and stepped down from her throne to receive the sword. She planted a kiss on my cheek, then did something I never would have expected, and still can't believe happened.

She held up the Sword of Wisdom and announced, "Centuries ago, I battled Khione with this very sword. I defeated her, but the sword was broken after the fight. To test my children, I placed the sword there, announcing that only the true owner could put it back together, but they would have to face Khione to do it. And that you did.

"Diana Fortia, for your bravery and persistence on this quest, I hereby bestow upon you the Sword of Wisdom. Its blade is made of the strongest metal in the demigod world: Pyreum. Wield it proudly."

I gasped and blushed. This wasn't supposed to happen! The sword was Seraphel's, not mine! The other gods and my friends clapped and cheered.

"Mother—Councillor Seraphel—I don't understand. Why are you giving me the Sword?"

Seraphel smiled. "I expect you know that all weapons have a soul. Only one person has an identical soul to the one in a weapon. Although The Sword of Wisdom was shattered in the battle, it kept a fragment of its soul within the blade- so it can only be mended by its true owner with the same soul. The unworthy would be dissolved. The Sword of Wisdom has chosen you. Take it with my blessings."

Nyssa beamed at me.

I approached Nyssa, Nyra, and Zuri, taking a deep breath. "I know we'll probably never see each other again, but-" I never told them what I wanted to say, because Nyra ambushed me with a hug, and Nyssa and Zuri joined in.

"Diana, there's nothing to say. You're amazing, and we are grateful to have gone on this journey with you. We're always with you, if not physically, then in here." Zuri pointed to my heart.

"May the Gods be with you, Diana," Nyssa whispered, smiling but wiping away a tear.

I wiped my eyes free of the tears streaming down my face and turned to leave.

That night, I walked through the edge of the jungle and stood in front of the very portal that had brought my sister and I here from my home in Greece all those years ago.

"Where are you headed? Nyra told me you were leaving Locra."

I almost jumped out of my skin. I turned to see Leia, with her bow and arrows, standing amidst the trees.

I replied simply, remembering now how she had left me alone, and the resentment I had held for her. "I'm going to stay with Grandma and Grandpa."

"Hey, Diana? I'm—I've been needing to tell you this for a long time.. I never really got a chance to apologise for leaving you alone and running away with the Sentinels. I'm so sorry- losing Dad just made me feel so lost, and I forgot my duty to care for the family I still had: you. I hope you can forgive me."

I looked away, then smiled. "You know what, Leia? For the longest time I couldn't bring myself to accept that it was okay. But now that I think of it, none of this—" I gestured to the Sword of Wisdom "—could have happened if you stuck around. I wouldn't have met Nyra and Zuri, or Nyssa for that matter, and I would have just been normal, or as normal as demigods can be. So, thank you."

Leia smiled wistfully at me. "I'm proud of you, little sis. It's going to be a good life for you from here on out."

"Hey, you can never tell with demigods," I said.

She laughed, turned to leave, and I stepped into the portal.