Coming Clean

Khushi came out of Arnav's room, her heart beating erratically against her rib cage, being anywhere in his proximity always had that effect on her. She herself didn't know how she managed to walk out of the poolside with some dignity instead of rushing out and tripping on her own feet. She clutched her chest above her heart, willing for it to slow down.. "Matlab nahi karti!" (meaning you don't!) his words, and the smirk that went along with it was continuously playing on her mind. 

He looked way too pleased with himself on being able to read her so well, and she felt so embarrassed and annoyed at herself for the same. "Khushi.. unke saamne jaate hi tumhe kya ho jaati hai?" (Khushi.. what happens to you as soon as you go in front of him?) she scolded herself "Nahi tho bina ruke baat karti rehti ho sab se.. ache kahaniya banati rehti ho.. lekin unke saamne aate hi tumhari dimag, zabaan sab kaam karna bandh kyun hojaati hai?  Sab unke aakhon ki ghalti hai.. unmai dekh ke hi hum sab kuch bhool jaate hai... bilkul sahi naam rakha hai unko - Arnav!" (Otherwise you talk to everyone non-stop.. you make up good stories.. however as soon as you come in front of him, why does your brain and tongue stop working? Its all his eye's fault, as soon as you look into them you forget everything.. they have named him perfectly - Arnav!) she mumbled noiselessly to herself and walked away from his room.

She walked into Manorama's room, the scene in front of her made her smile - Lavanya and Manorama were both laying on the bed, holding a magazine each, and sifting aimlessly through the pages. "Namaste Maamiji, Namaste Lavanyaji" Lavanya shot up hearing the voice, "Chamkeeeeeeeeeli.." she squealed and rushed to her and engulfed her in a bear hug, and then left her suddenly "sorry sorry... mai bhool gayi thi ke tum bemaar thi.. tumhe hurt nahi hua na?" (Sorry sorry.. I forgot that you were ill.. you didn't get hurt right?) Khushi shook her head "Hum teek hai Lavanyaji.." (I am fine Lavanyaji..) By then Manorama had slowly got up as well "Phati Sadi.. tumhari bukhaar pakka teek hogaya na? Hum nahi chahte hai ke tumri wajah se ee ghar ma sab bemaar pad jaaye" (Phati Sadi.. are you sure your fever is cured? I don't want everyone in this house to fall ill because of you ) She gave Khushi a measuring look.

"Nahi Maamiji.. woh bas kamzori ki wajah se kal bemaar pad gaye the hum.. aur kuch nahi.. ab hum bilkul teek hai" (No Maamiji.. I had fallen ill due to weakness.. nothing else.. and now I am perfectly fine) She said with a smile, "Waise aap dono kya kar rahe the? Sagai ke liye kapde designs dekh rahe the kya?" (By the way what were you two doing? Were you looking at designs for the engagement dresses?) Lavanya's face fell and Khushi noticed it, before she could process it though, Manorama spoke "Haan.. karna tho hum wohi chahte the.. lekin.." (Yeah.. that is what I wanted to do.. but..) Before Manorama could complete her sentence, Lavanya interfered "Chamkeeli.. abhi abhi aayi ho na.. pehle aake bait jao.. phir aaraam se yeh sab baatein karenge" (Chamkeeli.. you arrived just now.. first take a seat.. then we can talk about all this leisurely)

The trio sat on the bed and Lavanya kept the conversation going, jumping from one topic to another, smoothly, without letting the other two get even the slightest hint that she was actually distracting them from discussing anything related to the engagement. Sometime later Anjali walked into the room, with prasad from the temple, she shared it with everyone first, and then enquired Khushi about her health, the conversation between the two of them was interrupted by Manorama, who was getting annoyed at the amount of attention being showered on Khushi "Anjali Bitiya.. agar tumri pooch daach hogayi tho hum sagai ke kaam shuru kare? Agar kapde ke design select kare tho hi stitching ke liye bhej sakat hai na?" (Anjali dear.. if your questioning is over with then shall we start the work for the engagement? Only if we select the designs can we send the clothes for stitching right?)