Chapter 6 - Shock Horror

After the test had ended and the boys headed off to the change rooms, Hiroshi sidled up to Kaminari, having coughed up figurative fur balls. “Hey Kaminari, do you mind sparing me a couple of kilowatts? I'm running pretty low on overall energy levels after all that.” Hiroshi asked in between wheezing.

He had sat down to give himself a rest before he would eventually head back to the lockers to retrieve his things.

Kaminari looked like he was in the same state as Hiroshi, but he had clearly recuperated comparably considering Kaminari likely didn’t have a means to use his quirk all that much during the tests.

“Why am I always giving you power? Surely you can see I’m in the same state as you?” he replied, breathing heavily from the distance run.

“Because unlike you, I don't need to wait an hour before I can use my quirk again because of a brain shortage. Mine depends on gathering energy from various sources. That's why.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Sure, let's do this…” As Kaminari started channelling electricity through Hiroshi's arm.

Hiroshi barely glimpsed a side-eyed glare from Bakugo from the other side of the change rooms.

Once he finished, Hiroshi spoke once more. “However, we both can channel electricity - more or less - so I'm sure I'll need to power up one of your moves one day. Lightning Bros forever, remember?” His fist held out as he waited for a response.

With which Kaminari responded in kind with a fist bump, a zap of power momentarily coursing between them.

“You did pretty good in the apprehension test considering how your quirk works, though. I don’t recall when you had the means to use it, but you did better than a few in the class despite that.” Hiroshi offhandedly yet encouragingly praised. “Especially since the ones below you had a means to shine with their quirk accordingly.”

Kaminari seemed genuinely confident from those words. “Thanks man! I mean, you rocked that test, though. Makes me kinda jealous of how you aced them. Especially the ball throw!”

“I just assumed the physics would work, I mean, I wished the ball was metallic. That way, it would have conducted better and likely would have survived a larger current blast, but it did the job. I had no idea the long jump attempt was going to work, though. Pure fluke, as far as I’m aware.”

“Aw man! I wish my quirk was more focused like yours, especially with all the things you’ve been able to do with it…”

“Hey, don’t say that. You beat me well and truly in the AoE department. I can’t face multiple enemies at once as effectively as you would. I mean, you’re a one man army in the right context.”

“AoE? Is that like a physics term?”

Dumbfounded, again. “Bro! Area of Effect? Don’t you remember every video game we’ve ever played? You’d think after beating me in every game with that that you’d remember it.”

“Oh! My bad. I forget that’s what it’s called.”

“Anyway, your quirk works wonders in its own way. Mine just does it on a more concentrated level. Hey, maybe you can make that lightning sword at some point!”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I'll see you tomorrow then, Raibro.” As Kaminari went to leave the change rooms.

“Raibro?” Hiroshi asked, confused, yet somewhat understanding the term's origin.

“I don't know, I thought it was cool. Rai as in lightning, and because your last name starts with rai…” Kaminari said with enthusiasm into a slowed pulse of doubt.