"I wanted to wait until tomorrow to show you, since it's your birthday and Dr Spring said you're cleared to start trying to use them," Branch says, looking the floor. "It's not the best, but I really hope you like it."

John rolls himself closer and lightly touches the metal. "B, this is amazing! I love it already, kid, holy crap it looks so cool." He looks up at her excitedly. "Can I try them on?"

Branch looks at him in surprise, her face turning navy blue. "Sure! Hold on, let me-" She sets the leg down again and grabs some black cloth. Kneeling in front of him, she slowly helps slide the sleeves onto his stumps. "This way, the sockets won't rub against your skin too much. You still can't wear them like, 24/7, but that'll definitely help." She then turns back and picks up one leg. "Ready?"

John scoots in his chair, getting closer to her and lifting his left stump. "Totally, kiddo."

Branch snorts and gently guides his leg into the socket. "I managed to set it up with a neural link, so when you try to move it, it should do what you want." After strapping him in, she leans back on her heels. "Okay. Try to move your ankle a bit."

John focuses and watches in amazement as his 'ankle' moves to the side smoothly, just like he wanted it to.

"Okay, now try your knee. Lift your leg up."

John does it. Holy crap.

"Looks good so far," Branch says excitedly. "Let's get the other one on." She does the same process for his right leg, strapping him in and having him test the connection. "Awesome!"

"Can I try getting up? I want to stand," John says, determination filling his body.

"Sure, just go slow, okay?" Branch helps him, holding his hands as he lifts himself up shakily. He holds onto her for balance, and he's a bit wobbly but he's standing. He's standing!

Holy shit, I'm standing, John thinks. "I'm standing," he whispers in awe. The preteen beams up at him.

"You're standing!" Branch keeps him steady. "Wanna try walking a little? I'll hold you the whole time and make sure you don't fall." She gives him a reassuring smile. "You don't have to though, don't push yourself too much. I'm planning on getting some crutches to help you out too."

"No, I wanna try," John says, taking a deep breath. Branch backs away a little, still holding his hands to keep his balance.

Concentrating, John takes a step with his right leg, then his left. Holy shit. He takes another step. Holy shit, I'm walking. Slowly, he follows Branch around her room, toddling not unlike a baby to the door and then back. As he gets close to her bed again, he feels exhaustion creeping over him. "Alright, that's enough for now," he huffs, and she helps build him back to his chair. He slumps down, rubbing one leg with a huge smile on his face, his tag wagging furiously behind him. "Holy crap, Branch, thank you."

"You don't have to thank me, old man," she says, blushing. She grabs the chair handles and wheels him out of her room. "I'm glad you like them."

"I love them, are you kidding?" John Dory lifts his new foot and smiles wider. "It's so cool! I can't wait to go hiking again with these babies, it'll be so fun."

"We should do that when you're fully recovered." Branch keeps pushing him as she thinks about it. "I think we could use a little vacation, what about you?"

John sighs dramatically, making her giggle. "Definitely second that, kid. I think I've had enough excitement to last a lifetime already."

"You aren't even thirty yet," Branch laughs.

"I feel like I'm seventy," John complains while she snorts at him. "Just wait till you're older, kid, you won't be laughing then. Just hope we don't both get grandma's arthritis."