Ch 29: 'One For All'

Start from the beginning

Gran Torino: "And what about what you did in the Sports Festival?"

(Y/n): "The Sports Festival...?"

Gran Torino: "Yeah. You know, with the green fog coming out of your body and how you transformed into that smoke monster when fighting the kids from your school. What was that about? That was still your original quirk, right?"

(Y/n): "Uh, yeah. They, um...They're like boosts I get. Like I'm evolving my Quirk in a way."

Gran Torino: "Evolving?"

(Y/n): "Kinda like upgrading, you know? Like, my Quirk is based around Nightmares. So I'm just pushing the meaning of what it is to have a Nightmare Quirk. So whereas my normal use of it can create real nightmares from my mind, and inflict nightmares into the minds of others. But when I do the form to bring out that green fog from my body, I'm basically enhancing my attributes. I get faster. My reflexes are quicker. I can sense things like they're going slow when they're not..."

Gran Torino: "But how is that possible with a Nightmare Quirk? Nightmares have nothing to do with speed or reflexes?"

(Y/n): "Well... You know when you have a nightmare, and you wake up in the middle of the night and your hearts racing and you've got sweat all over your body? It's kinda like that. When I'm in my form I'm basically inflicting my body with the same feeling someone gets when they wake up suddenly from a bad nightmare. I make my heart race and basically give me a boost of adrenaline. Which--"

Gran Torino: "--Which in turn makes your body and senses faster?"

(Y/n): "...Yeah."

The look on Gran Torino's face was flooded with shock. Though he did his best to hide that from (Y/n) as he turned his head away momentarily.

Gran Torino: [Thoughts] "That's incredible. I've never seen someone mould their Quirk in such a way. Most would simply see a nightmare quirk as a means to make people scared. But this boy..." [Turns back to you] "But why the fog?"

(Y/n): "Well, um..." [Chuckles nervously] "...That's kinda just for show. I was always afraid of fog when I was really little. I, uh, I saw it in a scary movie once... Didn't get past it until I was six..."

Gran Torino: "Oh...What about the other one? That green smoke monster?"

(Y/n): "Uh, well, with the normal go-around of my Quirk, I'm able to inflict their minds with nightmares. But I don't really have much control over them. It's pretty much free reign. But when I use my 'Fear Third' form, I can enter their minds outright and control their nightmares as I please. My body is also completely made of the green fog at that point, so no attacks will hurt my body. But I'm held back with the attacks that I can do in that form. So I only really use it when I need to."

Gran Torino: "Fear...Third? Is that what you call it?"

(Y/n): "Um, well...Kinda?" [Smiles nervously] "I, um...I got it from a manga I read..."

Upon looking at Gran Torino next, (Y/n) found the old man shaking his head. Instantly, (Y/n)'s focus was sparked back to reality.

Gran Torino: [Shakes head] "I swear. You're both the same. You and All Might. Having strange things as named attacks." [Sighs] "Oh well, if it works, it works..."

(Y/n): "...But it didn't work."

Gran Torino: "Huh?"

Upon lifting his head, Gran Torino was greeted by the sight of (Y/n) facing the ground. It was clear dismay rocked his world as he continued to mutter.

(Y/n): "I tried every single power-up I had in order to beat Stain, and even when I tried to use Fear Third, Stain was quicker. He wouldn't even let me use it. And now I've got a broken body... I don't know how I'm going to do this..."