PROLOGUE

9 year-old Mary-Kate sat on the couch with her older brother, Alexis. "Fuck!" Alexis yelled, throwing down his controller. "How do you keep beating me?"

MK simply smirked. "Luck, I guess." She grinned as she picked up Alex's controller. "Here, just because I beat you four times doesn't mean you can completely give up on me, that would be lame."

Alex groaned as he picked up the black and grey controller, tracing his finger along the buttons. "Fine. One more round." He set up the next Kart Race. MK was in a deep zone, her fingers reading, hovering above each button carefully. Alex watched as the numbers appeared on the television.

3..

2..

1!
The race began, Mk gained a quick head start above her brother and all the computer driven players. Alex watched in horror. "How are you-" He watches as his kart spins around, hitting a banana peel. "Augh!" He said, annoyed, continuing to race. He was in third place, and Mk's kart was visible. He watched as the number of laps switched to two. Crap. He caught up to her, overtaking second place. Up ahead was the finishing line.. maybe he could pass her.. if he boosted. He pressed the R button, and his kart dashed up just behind MK's as her kart crossed the finish line.. first. Damn. "Hah! Sucks to suck." The small girl cheered as she won again. Alexis sighed as he placed his controller down. "Alright, I'll get you next time. But I need to get ready for bed. I have baseball practice in the morning."

MK sighed. She placed her controller beside his. "One more round? Pleaseeeeee."

Alexis opened his mouth before both their parents came trotting down the stairs, and he realized straight away this was no play time when he saw his mother's puffy eyes. He turned off the TV as Mk and him walked up to their parents. All four took a seat at the dining table. MK tapped her fingers on the wood. She was never too good at staying still. Their father opened his mouth first. "Mary, Alexis, me and your mother have decided something important."

Alexis' eyes trailed to his mother, her eyes were looking at the ground. "Because of our constant disagreements.. we have, infact, decided to divorce."

Alex felt the tears filling his eyes instantly.

MK sat there cluelessly.

"Divorcing? Alexis, what's that? What's happening, why are you crying? You never cry."

. . . . . . . .