XI.

Everything began to bloom around Erica despite it being winter. Drew's love surrounded her and made her feel airy, lifting her spirits unreasonably high. Training continued as she grew better at wielding a blade, occasionally landing a successful hit where the demon was apparently weakest. Though, she doubted those shapeless things had a weak point.

School became easier as she studied alongside Drew, occasionally glancing up and grinning as she admired how absorbed in his work he became.

All the things she had once worried about so deeply seemed to dissipate by his side as all that preoccupied her mind was what to get Drew on Valentine's Day which was creeping up on her. The talk of angels and demons feuding with each other seemed so far away as they bathed in each other's light.

So, as she examined herself in the mirror before her dinner date with Drew, she was shocked to see Elena's shadowy reflection in her mirror.

"Elena!" she chirped out. "How do I look?"

"Happy," Elena replied easily, grinning though her expression remained pained. "Happiness is excellent on you, you know? Your smile, your genuine smile, is to die for."

"What's got you acting so flattering today?" Erica murmured, settling next to Elena on the bed.

"Nothing," Elena replied, and, in this light, Erica could see dark purple patches all over her skin.

"Are you alright?" Erica inquired suddenly, using some of her psychic energy to materialize Elena's face so she could turn it over in her hands. "You look a little..."

"I'm rotting," Elena explained, extending a hand to where Erica could see the flesh being eaten away. She gasped, leaning back.

"H-how? That's not supposed to happen," Erica stammered, growing nauseous at the sight of the peeling flesh.

"I think it's my punishment for refusing to move on," Elena admitted, sinking deeper into the mattress.

"I know you said you don't want to remember what happened," Erica sighed out, turning her gaze away. "But who knows what'll happen to you if we don't continue investigating."

"I- I remember something," Elena admitted, trembling slightly as she began to fade away.

"What is it?" Erica scrambled up as if she could hold the girl back from dematerializing.

"I don't remember what I said," Elena murmured, choking her last few words out. "But I went to Father Elliot. I think he might know. I know your experience with Rima hasn't been very safe, but he's one of the few people I trust."

"Okay, I'll speak to him," Erica assured her as she watched the girl dissipate into nothing.

Erica sighed, realizing her experiences with that haunted town were far from over.

*

Cecilia faced Erica, pouting in the middle of her dormitory as she murmured, "But I don't want to kick you!"

"You need to fix your form," Erica insisted, gesturing for her to come forward. "Don't worry about hurting me."

"You told me we were just going to get lunch and you would tell me about Drew," Cecilia whined, bottom lip jutting out as she backed away.

"And we will," Erica insisted. "Just after this. Come on! Try and lad at least one kick."

"Fine," Cecilia huffed, softly thudding her foot against Erica's thigh.