Eye Opener

Shyam had accompanied Anjali and Devyani to the temple.. Once they had reached there, he made an excuse and left, making his way directly to Laxmi Nagar. According to the Guptas he was away in Chandigarh for a case hearing, If he was to come back, just to meet Khushi, because she was unwell, he thought it would earn him some much needed goodwill in the eyes of Garima and Payal, while also making it clear to Khushi, just how much he cared and valued her.

Hearing a knock on the door, Madhumati opened it and was quite surprised to find Shyam standing at the door step. "Babua.. tum yahan?? tum tho sheher se bahar.." (You are here dear? You were out of town) Shyam gave her a smile "Buaji.. hum kaise nai aate.. kal jab aapne humko phone kiya tha.. hum ussi waqt wapis aana chahte the. Humaara mann hi nahi tha kaam mai jabse hume pata chale ke Khushi bemaar hai.. lekin kya kare koi bus nahi mila hume.. isiliye aaj subah ka pehla bus pakad kar aagaya.. par zyada der nahi rukh sakta, aaj shaam phirse wapis jaana padega hume.. woh case abhi tak khatam nahi hua na" (Buaji.. How could I not come.. I had wanted to come back immediately when you had phoned me yesterday. I didn't feel like working ever since I found out that Khushi was ill, but what could I do, there was no bus yesterday. That is why I caught the first bus today morning and came back. However, I won't be able to stay for long, I will have to go back in the evening.. the case is still not over right)

Madhumati was blown over.. this one act of Shyam's had made her forget everything that happened the previous day.. she forgot the questions Arnav asked her, she forgot the words Garima spoke to her, she even forgot the guilt she herself felt every time she saw Khushi. With teary eyes, she held Shyam's cheeks affectionately.. "Bohot acha kiya babua.. bohot hi acha.. aao, aao.. ander aao" (You did a very good job dear, very good indeed.. Come, come.. come inside)

Shyam walked inside.. his eyes scanning everywhere.. where was Khushi? He couldn't hear her or Payal, The latter must have gone to work.. but Khushi? was she so ill that she was still asleep? That would be counterintuitive to his plans.. if she didn't see him with her own eyes.. then how could he make an impression on her. He looked at Madhumati.. "Khushiji abhi tak so rahi hai kya Buaji?" (Is Khushiji still asleep buaji?)

Madhumati sighed deeply "Nahi babua" (No Dear) she placed both her hands on her head "woh kaam pe chali gayi hai" (She had gone to work). Shyam was shocked at first, and then felt thankful that Anjali asked him to accompany her to the temple, if he had been at Shantivan, there would have been a strong possibility that he was seen by Khushi. He collected himself quickly "Kaam pe? Lekin unhe tho bukhaar tha na..." (To work? But she had a fever right?)

Madhumati nodded her head with a sigh.. Shyam clicked his tongue "yeh ameer log bhi na! Kisika koi parwa nahi hai unhe.. Pakka yeh woh Arnav Singh Raizada ka hi kaam hai.. zabardasti bulaya hoga Khushiji ko unke sagai ke kaam karwane ke liye.." (These rich people! They have no concern for anyone.. Surely it was that Arnav Singh Raizada's work.. he would have forcefully called Khushiji to do the work for his engagement) his attempt at mudslinging was cut short by Madhumati, she shook her head

"Nai nai babua... Tum ghalat sochat ho.." (No No dear.. you are wrong) Shyam looked at her curiously "Unhone bulaaya nahi.. Balke Arnav babua khud khushi ko aaj wahan kaam pe aane ke liye mana kiya tha.." (He didn't call.. In fact Arnav dear had himself asked Khushi not to come to work there today) His eyes widened and tried to put on a smile of acknowledgement on his face, but failed miserably.

Shyam kept wondering since when had Arnav become so considerate towards Khushi "Lekin humaari SankaDevi kabhi kisi ki baat suni hai?" (But has our SankaDevi ever listened to anyone's words?) She clicked her tongue with a shake of her head "chali gayi maharani kaam pe.. Tum woh sab chodo babua, baito.. itna lamba safar karke aaye ho.. Hum tumri liye kuch peene ke liye laavat hai haan..." (The queen went to work.. you leave all that dear, take a seat.. You have had a long journey.. I will bring you something to drink) Shyam nodded his head and took a seat, disappointed that his plan was squashed.