S1; CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Start from the beginning

Dustin just quickly followed after Mike at the boy's sudden shift in energy, Mabel sending Eleven a confused frown before she scrambled after the pair soon after.

The trio approached one of Mike's living room windows, each of them looking out of the pane to find a suspicious man sitting in a van labeled 'Hawkins Power and Light'.

"What's that guy doing?" Mike questioned, voice mixed with trepidation and inquiry.

"You don't think..." Dustin let his voice inauspiciously trail off as he casted his attention between Mabel and Mike.

Without waiting for another foreboding moment to pass, Mike randomly jumped up, hurrying to another room to question his mother, and leaving Mabel and Dustin to cautiously watch the menacing van outside.

As if on cue, several more identical vans began to conveniently arrive at Mike's house, Mabel gasping at the sight as she disbelievingly came to a steadfast conclusion. "Oh my god...it's the government!"

Dustin narrowed his eyes as he made sudden eye contact with a man sitting in one of the vans, the boy widening them as soon as he did so and frantically grabbed the curtains to swipe them closed.

Once he did that, Dustin then sprinted to the kitchen, Mabel in tow, and forcibly interrupted Mike's interrogation. "Mike!"

"One second." Mike dismissively held his hand up as he kept trying to badger his mother for clear answers.

"Mike!" Mabel loudly shouted, consequently causing the boy in question to whip around and face the two, not expecting the sudden burst of panic from either of them.

"We need to leave...right now." Dustin succinctly demanded, and as he turned around and ran back to Mike's basement, Mabel nodded quickly and ran after him with an urgency just as unfounded, Mike beginning to follow after them.

"Michael?!" Karen perplexedly called, not understanding why the kids were so freaked out.

"If anyone asks where I am, I've left the country!" Mike prefaced before he disappeared after his friends.

"What?!" Karen narrowed her eyes.

Mabel, Mike, Eleven and Dustin had successfully managed to run out of Mike's back door and mount their bikes, Eleven hopping on the back of Mike's.

As soon as they did so, they each made eye contact with several intimidating men from the earlier vans, who were now threateningly walking towards them, their collective attention solely on Eleven.

"Go, go, go, go, go!" Dustin panically shouted, and as the kids took off, the men ran back to their vans, preparing to follow after them.

"What the hell is going on right now?!" Mabel yelled fearfully as utter adrenaline filled her body, the girl using every bit of energy she had in her to peddle her bike.

"Dustin! Dustin, do you copy?!" Lucas' voice suddenly called over Dustin's walkie-talkie.

"Yeah, Lucas, they're on us!" Dustin answered.

"Where are you?!"

"Cornwallis!" Dustin exclaimed.