5. Newt Gets Drunk

Epiphany - A moment when you suddenly feel that you understand, or suddenly become conscious of, something that is very important to you.

__________________________________

"Come on, Gally!"

What kind of celebration was this? Okay, he couldn't remember any celebration he'd had before the maze, but he was guessing they weren't like this. The same boy, Gally, or whatever, who'd thrown him into this group of boys was beating them up. But, the others were cheering him on!

Did they find satisfaction in seeing their own friends being hurt?

He heard someone clearing their throat, and walk towards where he was being quite the recluse at his own party, away from the bonfire.

"Hey, greenie. Try this."

It was a brownish substance in a glass jar. What was this, piss? He almost gagged.

"What's that?" He said as Newt sat down next to him. "Well.. Actually i'm not sure."

How nice of him to give his friend something not even he knew what it was. But, hey, you only live once. So he drank it.

"I think you should loosen up. I mean, this is your celebration, man." Newt patted his back before going back to the party, just like he didn't exist.

He sighed, putting his head on the tree.

He saw a couple gladers who he'd learnt the names of in the past few hours. Minho, who was a runner. He didn't exactly know what that meant. Frypan, Zart, Newt, Winston, Chuck. And of course, Alby.

What annoyed him most was him not remembering his own.

He sat there. Taking in the chill of The Glade at night. It scared him, his situation. But he felt safe now. At peace. Maybe this was the trigger.

Suddenly, his head started to ache. Just immediately, his name came back to him
in bits and pieces. Tho-

Thomas. His name was Thomas.

He got up quickly. Now this, this was something to actually celebrate for.

"Hey!" He waved his arms. This was the first time he felt excited. Newt was the first to turn around.

"No more calling me a greenie, assholes." He muttered under his breath

"My name is Thomas!" He screamed with a large smile plastered across his face. The crowd of about 50 gladers turned their attention from Gally to Thomas. Claps, cheers that actually gave him hope. Made him feel good.

Alby stepped up to him. "Hello, Thomas. it's nice to meet you." he said with a smirk. No more greenie, He thought.

"Have some more, be a real man."

Newt said, sounding like he'd had maybe a few too many of those mystery drinks. Thomas shooed his hands away, not wanting to end up like Newt. Thomas watched as he walked like a zombie toward Gally.

"I bett 'ya can't beat me.."
Newt said, slurring his words. Gally turned over with a smirk, recognizing Newts voice.

"Oh, really?"
Thomas ran over.

He sighed. Even if he'd not known these people for more than a day, he knew some of them were cruel. Like Gally. Newt didn't stand even a chance.

At the first punch, Newt was knocked to the floor. It was like Gally didn't even have to try. He picked him up by the collar, giving him one more kick to the balls, and dropped him to the ground.

You'd think for someone who was second-in-command they would be stronger. Is that mean?

He thought it was funny for a bit, until he saw Newt was genuinely hurt. Some kid from the crowd picked him up, and pushed him out of the way, so Gally could continue his little show with the whole Glade.

Thomas ran over to Newt, as he used Thomas as support when he got up. Veeeeery slowly. "Um.. Newt?"
"Ugh, what?"

"You're good? He said as Newt held his bleeding eyebrow. "No, you bloody shank.."
He sighed, "How can I help?"
"Take me to the Medhut."
Newt said, realizing now he was talking to a greenie. Newt realized he shouldn't be so angry

"Which is..?" Thomas didn't even want to ask. He picked Newt up, as he wiped the dirt off his butt. Newt groaned very unnecessary loud. "Your supposed to be helpin' me! Not hurting me!"
Thomas laughed, but not loud enough for Newt to hear. It wasn't funny. Well, yes. Yes it was.

The Medhut seemed miles away. Finally, with Newt complaining that Thomas was hurting him for 5 minutes, They came to the Medhut. Apparently, this place was to heal hurt gladers or something. It was quite obvious with the gauze, and the liquid in bottles without labels. Very useful.

"Sit down, Newt."
"Don't be a meanie, mister Greenbean. I'm second-in-command, 'ya know."
Newt was acting like a child, as he swung his hands and crossed them.
It took a while to shut Newt up, but he finally did. And his "deadly," injury on his head stopped bleeding. Hallelujah.

"I want to sleep.. You're being too loud.."
Thomas didn't even say anything. "Shhhh.." Newt said, bringing his finger to cover Thomas's mouth. "I'm sleeping." He was not.

"Alright, well i'm leaving."
"No.. Stay. please, Tommy."
He said with his signature slurred words.
"Pleaaaseee?"
"Alright. But i'm not dealing with you all night."

Thomas wondered if there was sleep medicine anywhere. Anything to shut Newt up.