[ 020 ] state of high.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER TWENTY !

            WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE the untimely and tragic passing of Laura Lee, who had left them in a fiery blaze

WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE the untimely and tragic passing of Laura Lee, who had left them in a fiery blaze. Everyone had been understandably low spirited. Food was growing increasingly sparse. Neither Natalie nor Travis were proving successful in the hunting aspect of being stranded in the woods, leaving them to scavenge and feast upon the creepy crawlies that were buried beneath the earth.

Everyone was gathered inside the cabin, clutching onto their own little bowl of fried worms that had been procured and cooked up by Akilah and Shauna. Noses were turned up in disgust at the idea of eating something they never would have considered chowing down on before. The fried skin of the worms crunched between their teeth while its softer insides oozed out and lingered upon their taste buds.

It was quite gross but at least it was food and thanks to Akilah and her Girl Scouts knowledge, they knew that eating the little critters would provide them with some much needed protein.

Shauna had settled down onto the floor, her own bowl in her hands as she readied herself to eat the crispy worms when she noticed that Jackie had yet to touch hers. "Jack, you have to eat."

Jackie sighed. She glanced up at the brunette while breathing out, "Why? What does it matter at this point?"

She was just done with the whole thing. She couldn't stand doing all of this shit. Eating bugs so they could survive? And for how long? Would they ever even be rescued?

The rattling of Mari's bowl as it was practically thrown to the floor caused them all to look at the girl as she rose to her feet, exclaiming, "Okay, I can't do this anymore." She headed to the pantry and brought out a jar was filled to the brim with a dark purple liquid.

"What is that?" Coach Ben questioned the girl, the man curiously peering at the jar as Mari kneeled to the floor and began to unscrew the lid.

"It was some berries I was trying to save but I think it turned to booze." She responded with a shrug. She continued to twist off the top while saying, "I don't know about the rest of you but I could use a drink."

Taissa's brows furrowed. "Do we think it's safe?"

The only adult in the room allowed an almost amused smile to paint upon his lips as he honestly responded, "Do we care?"

"I have a few more." Mari informed the group, all of them looked intrigued at the prospect of drinking alcohol even if it was simply fermented berries.

A small smile twisted upon Jackie's lips as she was hit with an idea. She then stated, "If we have booze, let's have a party." This could be a good way to raise morale, get everyone out of their slump.