𝟎𝟎𝟑. maria's tactic of scaring callers

chapter three maria's tactic of scaring callers

chapter three
maria's tactic of scaring callers

🪻

"Miss! You must get up!" Sarah, the maid assigned to Maria by Lady Danbury spoke as she pushed the curtains open to let the light get in. Maria groaned, pushing her face deeper into her pillow, flinching at the light as if it burned her skin. Sarah has been trying to get the girl up for a few moments now, but her efforts appeared in vain. Maria simply dreaded the upcoming morning of callers filling the drawing room. "The callers will be arriving soon, and you aren't even dressed yet!"

Maria slowly sat up, eyes still half-closed as she felt drool run down her chin. What a sleeping beauty she must be, she didn't even want to imagine the state of her hair right now. But, she inferred it looked like a nest on top her head when Sarah turned to face her and had to put her hand over her mouth to hide the laughter threatening her lips.

Maria was too tired to care. "Laugh, if you please, Sarah. I've looked worse, I assure you."

"I'm sorry, Miss." Sarah quickly apologized, thinking she broke some boundaries between maid and lady. Maria simply waved her off, pushing the blanket over her, saying, "Please, laugh, I certainly do not care."

"Well, let's us see what the fuss is about." Maria announced as she took a seat at the vanity, peering into the mirror and her body came to a still at what peered back at her. Her assumptions were correct, she looked anything but a lady, hair tangled from tossing and turning the night before and crusty eyes with a drool stain on her chin. "Huh... I think this might be my best look yet, I dare say, this is what I shall wear today. Do you think callers will find this alluring?" Maria turned around in her chair to face the maid giggling silently.

"I think her lady, Lady Danbury would faint upon setting sight on you!" Sarah mused as she came up behind Maria's chair as the French woman turned back around to meet Sarah's eyes through the mirror. "I must say, I have my work cut out for me."