- thanks for being a team player -

Start from the beginning

"I know you're scared, but it'll be okay. I'm like- 99.8765124% sure that he likes you back anyway- So don't worry about that." She says with a laugh.

Melia nods once again, biting her lip.

"Anyways, we need to get ready- make ourselves look hot as fuck. Maybe something will happen between you two, tonight?" Kie says, smiling mischievously.

—————————————————

"Ok no, this is disgusting." Melia says, scrunching up her face in disgust as she looks into the mirror at herself. She was wearing a matching dress to Kie, yet rather than lilac hers was champagne coloured.

"I look like a dirty poor girl who got invited to a fancy event by her rich best friend- wait that's true... Uhm- Bad analogy." She shrugs, earning a laugh from Kiara's mother.

"I know, it's just horrible isn't it girls. I'm asking you two to relax and go to a fun party!" Her mom quips, playfully rolling her eyes.

"We look like bourgeoisie pigs." Kie purses her lips, looking at her mom.

"Would you please just, not worry about socioeconomic injustice for ONE night?" Anna asks, rubbing her forehead.

"Mom, people not three miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to Midsummers? One of those people is literally with us!" Kiara yells, walking over to her mother.

Melia plays with her necklace uncomfortably, knowing she probably just set off an argument between the two.

"Honey, do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club? Can you not be grateful we are bringing one of your pogue friends in with us, it'll ruin our reputation but we are doing it for you." Her mother says firmly, pushing her earrings into her ears.

"I- I can leave?" Melia pipes up.

"Yeah, Mom. How could I forget how hard you worked? You had to grovel for, like, ten years-" Kiara mocks, rolling her eyes.

"Twelve, and we also had to cough up a huge chunk of dough, and do you know WHY we did that?" Anna yells from the hall.

"To keep up with the Joneses?" Melia quietly jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

"So that you could have the same experiences that I had as a child." Anna says, looking at her daughter.

"Honey, do you know what the Island Club is?" She asks, walking up to Kiara.

"A factory farm for debutantes." Kiara snaps back, rolling her eyes once again.

"It is a nice place, with nice people, where you can do fun stuff!" She says, cupping her daughters cheeks.

"With out-of-touch rich people, that are half the reason I just spent an hour trying to cover up my best friends bruises?" Kiara asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Okay, I want you to put on your party face, Kie, if you wanna live." Her mother yells, walking out of the room.

Kie sighs angrily and plops back down into her bed next to Melia.