Harry understood instantly, but he was incredulous at the idea that Malfoy would send his elf to harass him a second time. That is, until he remembered the encounter with Malfoy and his father in Diagon Alley. This stunt could be a petty act of retaliation. And yet it did seem odd that only Harry and Blaise were prevented from going on the platform while Millie passed through just fine. Hadn't she done more to insult the Malfoys than Harry had?

Mrs. Zabini ceased her tapping and stared up at the clock above their heads in frustration. Harry and Blaise looked up as well, their stomachs sinking as they realized the time of departure was already upon them. As the second hand moved its way past the twelve, they knew it was too late.

"That's it," said Harry, feeling his stomach drop, "It's gone."

"Wait, wait. That can't be it," Blaise said, his panic rising, "Students must show up late all the time! There's got to be another way... Maybe we can fly our brooms! We've got them with us. We can just follow the train from the air and send for our luggage later..."

Harry was prepared to agree to this insane scheme, but Mrs. Zabini overheard them and was already shaking her head at Blaise's absurd idea.

"Don't be ridiculous. We'll just send and owl to Dumbledore and send you off to school tomorrow," she said.

The practicality of this plan instantly broke over them, and they felt very silly for having entertained the thought of flying all the way to Hogwarts. Disappointed that they would have to wait another day, but nonetheless grateful that they had Mrs. Zabini's guidance, they walked their trolleys out the front of the station and packed their luggage back into the boot of the car.

Mrs. Zabini wasted no time in sending a letter to the headmaster as soon as they were home. Harry, though despondent, was still impressed by her bold gesture. If she really had sent that howler to Dumbledore earlier in the summer, it was rather presumptuous to be asking his assistance now. For a brief moment, Harry entertained the theory that it was Dumbledore, not Dobby, behind the trick of the brick wall, and that it was Dumbledore's way of expelling Blaise and Harry for Mrs. Zabini's impertinence.

Harry dismissed this idea as soon as it was formed. Dumbledore must get complaints form parents all the time. That was no reason to expel any student. No, it was definitely Dobby's doing that was causing him to miss out on the sorting and start of term feast. Harry was sorry that Blaise was being kept out of the fun on his account. Harry had no doubt that if he'd tried to pass through on his own, he'd be on the train with Millie right now, enjoying iced pumpkin juice and chocolate frogs from the kind witch who pushed the trolley.

In spite of Torsh's efforts to cheer them with a well-prepared meal, Harry and Blaise spent a very dull evening together. They tried to lift their spirits with a game of exploding snap, but even this failed to entertain for long. It was eventually decided that they would go to bed early, their disappointment making them fit for little else.

The following morning brought good news. Dumbledore had sent his response back by Mephistopheles faster than Mrs. Zabini expected, and only slightly slower than the boys had hoped. The letter arrived just as the family was sitting down to a light brunch, the boys having no appetite for more. Mrs. Zabini opened the letter while Blaise and Harry waited anxiously. They were relieved at the smile that spread over her features, and she was evidently pleased announce, "Good news. Dumbledore has approved a temporary passage to Hogwarts via Floo Powder. You'll be at school before the evening meal."

Harry had no idea what Floo Powder was, but he immediately joined Blaise in pressing Mrs. Zabini to let them set off immediately. But Mrs. Zabini insisted that they complete their meal first, and the boys set to work on the food in front of them with gusto, their appetites infinitely improved on the prospect of soon being at school again.