Chapter 2: Marriage

Start from the beginning

When he mentioned the scratch, Lillie immediately patted his cheek with her paw. Her eyes were wide with shock. "Mommy attacked you?! Why?"

Arthur lets out a small laugh. "Well, I was a clumsy lad and your mother was not very nice in the beginning. However as time went on, she started to change. No one told her to, she did it herself. Little by little, we got to know each other."

Azura and Lillie exchanged glances, ears perked up from the tale. "And then what happened?"

"She learnt braille in order to pass notes to me," Arthur smiled, his cloudy blue eyes shone at the distant memory. "And then we went to the movie for our first time together. From there, she said she was sorry and I forgave her. Remember girls, anyone can change. From that day, your mother became the most beautiful rabbit I love."

"Then you got married and have us!" Azura concluded, earning a ruffle between the ears. 

"Of course, poppet. Now, shall we head back home?"

"Dad?" Lillie tapped his cheek. "If you and mommy got married, how come you call her pretty when you are blind?"

Azura clambered up. "I want to know too, dad!"

The blind Honduran white bat blinked, touching both of his daughter's faces. "It's true that I am blind but I can tell that you both are beautiful in a special way: give me your paws."

Confused, the two daughters held out their paw-wing for Arthur to hold. He told them gently, "From what I can touch, both of you have soft paws for playing and making things. And if I touch your faces like this..."

He demonstrated by tickling their cheeks, causing them to laugh, "I know that the both of you have fluffy furs, two eyes, two ears, a mouth, nose and... oh!"

"What? What is it?" Lillie asked with worried.

Arthur kissed both of them on the head. "I almost forgot that the both of you have the best smiles, laughter and questions that make everything fun. In fact, your mother also got her favourite pattern ideas from you two."

This made both Azura and Lillie gasped. They were surprised that they helped their mother come up with different drawing ideas for her clothes. With that, the three of them took off toward home, talking more about day in school and other interesting questions.

He was thankful that none were too deep for him to accidentally bump into another flying animal.

When they reached home, they were greeted by a squirrel monkey in a plain t-shirt and skirt. It was their housemaid, Ira. After marrying Mizuchi, her father insisted that they have a hired help that could clean the house and even watch the children when the parents were working overtime. Ira worked during the weekdays while she had most of the weekends off. She was slightly older than both of Arthur and Mizuchi's parents, making her somewhat like a grandmotherly figure for the girls.

"Welcome back," Ira greeted them with a smile. "I've prepared some lemon infused water and some sliced fruits."

Both Azura and Lillie squealed with delight and thanked the maid before helping themselves to the fruit. Arthur was grateful for her, knowing that she's been a lot of help whenever he and Mizuchi would sometimes want to have a romantic date.

"Girls, don't forget to wash up," Arthur called after them. "You don't want to miss story time."

Later that evening when Mizuchi came back, it was time for Ira to head back home. Arthur missed his wife very much while both of their daughters ran up to hug her. For a doe that held everything together, Mizuchi simply melted at the sight of her family.

"Welcome home, my love," Arthur greeted her. Mizuchi picked him up to kiss him on the lips since she was a foot taller than him. Also, bat's bones were very lightweight so an animal like a rabbit was able to lift him up without problem. 

"I missed you so much, Arthur," Mizuchi murmured against his fluffy fur. "You have no idea what happened today."

The Honduran white bat nuzzled into the crook of her neck. "Come sit with me on the sofa. I'm here to listen to whatever troubles you."

In fact, he loved nothing more than to listen to the change in her tone from anger, frustration, to rationalising until she was cool as a cucumber. Her heartbeat was music to his ears and once she was done, they would either cuddle or have some tea.

"You know," Arthur began, "the girls have been asking me about our marriage. Never would I thought that our girls are inquisitive."

Mizuchi tapped his leaf-shaped nose. "I know where they got it from~"

They were about to go for another kiss until a small squeak interrupted them. "Mommy, dad promised to tell us a story! Right, dad?"

Both of the parents gazed at each other lovingly before Arthur nodded. "Of course, love. Of course."