Chapter 4

Disclaimer: I do not own the Hobbit or any media that I use in this story. I only own my OC, Edin, and all deviations for the original plot of the Hobbit.

~Orcs and Nightmares~

We had been riding for hours. I could tell that the ponies, as well as the dwarves, needed some rest. By then, the sun had fallen low in the sky. Everything was tinted orange in the light of the setting sun.

I rode up next to where Thorin and Gandalf rode at the front. I stopped when I was inbetween them.

"We should find a place to set up camp for the night. The ponies could use some rest, and the company could too." I said, glancing over at Thorin.

He turned to me slightly and simply grunted as a response. He then turned back to face front.

I sighed as I looked over at Gandalf.
"I'm going to scout ahead. I shall return in ten minutes." I said and galloped forward on Étoile before either of them could protest.

Within a few minutes, I had lost sight of the company. I looked around, admiring the beauty of the nature that surrounded me. I close my eyes taking on the sounds of the birds chirping and animals scurrying acoss the forest floor.

I opened my eyes and spotted a rabbit that had hopped into the path. I halted Étoile and readied my bow. I took aim before letting the arrow fly, hitting its target perfectly.

Swiftly discounting Étoile, I collected the rabbit and retrieved my arrow from it. The rabbit would be great for dinner tonight.

I stuffed the rabbit into one of my empty saddle bags that I use when hunting. I climbed back onto my pony and continued down the path. I shot a few more rabbits before I found a suitable place to set up camp. It was a small raised area by the edge of a cliff. I then made my way back to the company to share my findings.

As the company came into view, I could tell that Thorin was not happy. He was scowling in my direction. When he caught sight of me, he looked even angrier.

I shuddered in fear as he rode towards me.

"What the hell was that?! Why did you ride off like that? Where did you go? Are you alright?" Thorin asked in quick procession.

I was stunned by the last question. Why would he ask that? I shook off my shock and answered his questions calmly.

"I rode off to scout ahead and look for a place to set up camp. I only went a mile or two up the path. I was able to find a place for us to stay for the night. Also, I am perfectly fine. I even managed to get is some dinner!" I said in answer to all of his questions.

At the mention of food, the company perked up. They talked among themselves about the prospect of a good meal.

"What did ya get, lassie?" Bofur asked enthusiastically.

I smiled at Bofur. "I managed to shoot some rabbits!" I said cheerfully.

I grabbed the rabbits from my bag and held them up for everyone to see. The company cheered at the sight. I just chuckled at their reaction.

Thorin grumbled as everyone else celebrated. "Come on! Let's move out! Edin, how about you lead the way to this so called campsite you found?" He said as he scowled at me.

"With pleasure!" I said, not acknowledging the way he looking at me.

I led the company back up the path I had just taken. Within a few minutes, we were at the place that I had found earlier. The sun was just starting to set when we set up camp.