CHAPTER 10

Even though Ron, Hermione, and Draco seemed to be fully invested in the mystery of the Cerberus and this Nicolas Flamel, Harry had other priorities. 

He was reading his mother's journals, which documented his father James' animagus transformation. Harry was continuing to find more animagus books and meditating every night to awaken his ''inner animal''. At least that's what the books that Professor McGonagall gave him said to do.

Harry also spent a lot of time in the library looking up Occlumency. It countered Legillimency by blocking his mind from any unwanted invaders. Nobody, not even a teacher, had the right to poke around in there.

Another reason why he spent a lot more time in the library was to avoid his common room. Harry couldn't stand the whispers of his blood status and his fame as The Boy Who Lived. Being the first half - blood to be sorted in Slytherin really was a double - edged sword, and he was determined to find a way to fit in with all the privileged pure - bloods and prove he belonged here.

Harry consulted his Slytherin friends about it, who were Daphne, Blaise, and a boy with curly brown hair and hazel eyes named Theodore Nott who shared a dorm with him. They met in a room that Blaise said his sister found when she was at Hogwarts called The Come And Go Room. Blaise opened it by pacing three times parallel to a tapestry with trolls on it.

The room reminded Harry of the Gryffindor Common Room, since it was full of armchairs and books, but it was in the green and silver Slytherin colors. Harry reminded himself to tell his Gryffindor friends later.

Once they had all found a place to sit, Harry started talking. ''Thanks Blaise for finding us a room where no one could hear us. I really appreciate it.''

''No problem, I've been wanting an excuse to check this place out anyway,'' Blaise responded.

''So, what I've been meaning to talk about to you three is this : I want to learn to fit in with all the other Slytherins, so they can stop whispering about me and talking behind my back. I was hoping you guys would teach me more about the Wizarding World, since I didn't grow up with wizards, and teach me some of the etiquette that pure - bloods know.''

Daphne seemed to think very hard before answering. ''Well, I can see why you want to learn, especially since with foul beasts like Pansy running around.'' Everyone laughed at that. ''Also because Theo and I are part of the Sacred Twenty - Eight families that founded the Ministry. Even though Blaise isn't, he's still pretty knowledgeable about this. Even Draco Malfoy would be able to help. You can count on me, Harry!'' Theo and Blaise nodded in agreement.

''Thank you so much! We can meet here every Tuesday to discuss it, that way it won't conflict with my Quidditch practice,'' Harry said.

''How is Quidditch going for you as the only first year on the team?'' Theo asked. He was an expert on Quidditch. He knew every broom model, every pro player's broom, every team name and country, and even every foul played. Harry admired his passion for the sport. It was inspiring.

''Pretty good,'' Harry replied. ''I'm probably not the best on the team, but at least everyone is decent to me. Everyone happy with our win and all.''

''Have more faith in yourself.'' Daphne nudged him. ''You flew really well the last game.'' Harry smiled at that. He was glad the others thought so.

As Harry bade goodbye to his friends, he thought more about being Slytherin. That night with the troll, he had led Ron and Hermione out of the bathroom so fast no one was able to catch them. And wasn't Blaise and Daphne always saying that Slytherins never get caught? There. There was the undeniable proof he held close to his heart, the knowledge that the Sorting Hat really hadn't made some sort of mistake.

Ugh. He wasn't used to worrying about so much things in this way. Usually he just buried his problems away by staying busy. By waking up early and going to the Quidditch Pitch to exercise, by completing all his homework, by reading as much books as he could. But it wasn't really working lately. His mind was stuck on Houses, Snape, and Pansy. Houses, Snape, and Pansy. It was driving him mad.

After class, Draco went up to Harry. ''You good, mate?'' Draco asked.

''Yes,'' Harry said slowly. ''Why do you ask?''

''Well, because you were muttering about proper posture and family trees. Is something going on?''

Harry flushed. Guess he was thinking a little too much, this time on his etiquette lessons. ''Everything's fine. Was there something else you wanted to talk to me about?''

''Actually yes.'' Draco looked excited. ''Hermione and I were thinking of starting a study group with people from other Houses, just to get to know others. Would you like to join? You can also invite someone else from Slytherin if you want.''

Hmm, Harry thought. Meeting new people, huh? This could turn out to be interesting. ''Sure,'' he replied. ''And I'll also invite Daphne Greengrass. She's a Slytherin in our year, she's really nice.''

Now it was Draco's turn to flush. ''Oh, I know Daphne. She's sort of a... close family friend. Since we're from old pure blood families and all that.''

''Yes, she has mentioned she knew you,'' said Harry with a sneaky smile. ''And she has told me about your... interesting relationship.''

''Urgh!'' Draco groaned and hid his face in his hands. ''Do you have to tell the whole corridor about our failed arranged marriage our parents put us up to when we were like, seven?''

''Good thing it failed,'' said Harry with a laugh. ''I can't for the life of me picture you two together. Anyway, I'm going to invite Daphne, she's really nice.'' The look on Draco's face clearly spelled out do you have to? ''Hey, isn't this all about House inclusion?'' Harry chuckled.

Draco rolled his eyes. ''Fine. Well, we were thinking of meeting every Monday and Friday?''

''Works for me,'' said Harry, leaving with a small smile on his face. Maybe it was just his imagination, but his footsteps felt a little bit lighter. This could turn out to be interesting.