chapter twenty three

Start from the beginning

"It's my job. Literally I run a mommy blog. I spent months planning this thing, trying to make it perfect, and my kid hates me for it." The mother rambled to the paramedic.

Bobby disagreed, "He doesn't hate you. He's just 12. He'll get over it."

"Feels like not matter what I do, it's wrong."

Buck tilted his head, "You did a great job constructing the shed. Really quality work." He complimented her.

"It's from a kit. I didn't even pick it out. A sponsor sent it."

"Well, at least you have help taking it down." Eddie enlightened.

Buck saw through the hinges from the door for the team to transfer the mommy blogger and door onto the stretcher. Once succeeding, the team had to get creative to figure out how to transport the civilian to the hospital since she was unlikely to fit in the back of the ambulance.

Indeed, they found a way.

Eddie and Buck sat on top of the ladder truck keeping the woman on the door stabilizing on their journey to the hospital.

Josephine let out an amused laugh when she received a text from Vanessa. The mommy blogger who they helped at the dispatch call went viral as she and the 118 had made a guest appearance on her livestream. Hen circled the couch where the brunette resided with a bowl of chips in her hands.

"What are you laughing about?" Hen sat next to her, offering the chips in the bowl.

She accepted and dipped her hand for the snack. "Vanessa sent me the viral clip of the mommy blogger we saved. Nothing like our ten seconds of fame." She played the video for Hen while plopping a chip into her mouth.

"The son and mother seemed ecstatic at the news when we dropped them off."

Josephine hummed in agreement, "Despite the pain that mom had to endure, she won her son's favor at the end of the birthday party." She highlighted.

"Speaking of birthdays, yours is coming up this weekend." Hen nudged her with a slight smirk. "Anything planned on the special occasion?"

"I don't think I'm doing anything big this year. Other than the fact the predicament we're living in. Just favorite takeout and a night in."

Of course, Josephine knew she wasn't going to get that. Her family loves to celebrate such as Hen to go all out. It is a sweet gesture and meaningful to celebrate their loved ones. At most it'll be an intimate gathering orchestrated by someone.

"I'm sure there's a group chat between my mom, Vanessa, and abuela putting something together."

Hen quirked her eyebrow, "You and Buck aren't planning anything together?"

"Mmm...not really. I already assured him nor want to weigh down any pressure on him. This past year and the last has felt like whiplash." Josephine answered honestly. Hen gave a short nod of understanding. "If it'll make you feel better, I suppose we can do something."

"I can compromise with that." Hen uttered as a heartfelt laugh erupted when Josephine rested her head upon her shoulder, batting her lashes dramatically.