0. Prologue

Agent Teufel sighed as he filled his coffee. Completing form 3W for the Hades Express discount was always a chore, but it was the quickest route for his team's reconnaissance survey. The hiss of the steam reminded him of the train's iron wheels screeching toward the Stix station. Much had changed since souls trudged through the cold desert to face judgment after crossing the Styx River.

The aroma of roasted beans infused him with determination. Teufel amused himself with thoughts of luck striking when he spotted Target 13 on a Madrid traffic camera. Alas, the individual was adept at evading detection. How many years had it been? Ten, perhaps more.

He couldn't fault the former boss for departing this chaos. Teufel longed for the days of warfare and city-wide conflagrations. Now, paperwork, politics, and betrayal filled their days.

His musings were interrupted by a call from Lavinia, the boss's secretary. "Come to the office; it's urgent."

"What's happened?" Teufel inquired.

"Lady Lukressia denied your permit, citing department regulations. Only the General Director can authorize more than three days for field surveys. Also, there's an issue with your ticket authorization. Lord Robespit is here too," Lavinia informed him.

Teufel downed the last liquid courage and headed to the boss's office.

The General Director of the Agency for Bureau of Intelligence and Strategic Services, ABYSS, was Prince Asmodeus, reclined in his chair. His gray wavy hair was messy, and his dark eyes were fixed on the budget projection Teufel had presented. Asmodeus did not seem pleased. Lady Lukressia and Lord Robespit were also present. Teufel paused; was he in trouble?

He cleared his throat and knocked on the doorframe, "My Prince, did you summon me?"

Prince Asmodeus nodded and gestured for him to approach, "Yes, come in. There are issues with your petition. Lady Lukressia noted that your field reconnaissance plan lacks detail."

"As I mentioned, all officials' credentials must be resubmitted. The permit requires Demon Resources approval," Lady Lukressia added.

"I'll resend the documents to Demon Resources. Is there anything else?" Teufel asked, turning to Robespit.

Robespit adjusted his monocle, "Unfortunately, there are no tickets for the Hades Express night trip to Pandemonium Plaza. You'll need the regular Hades Sprinter to Cocytus Crossing and a Tartarus Terminal bus. From there, a hellhound-drawn carriage will take you to Phlegethon port. Due to recent volcanic activity, the train station is damaged, so you'll ferry to Pandemonium Plaza, linking Hell to the Sanatorium of Santo Ángel de la Guarda in Madrid."

"They're certainly scheming," Teufel concluded but replied, "Recent volcanic activity has disrupted train lines, but I assumed they'd be prepared by now. There's nothing like a countryside trip with friends to improve teamwork. Please purchase the tickets as suggested."

After Lukressia and Robespit departed, Teufel bowed to Asmodeus before leaving. Asmodeus stopped him, closing the door.

"I found him; he's in Madrid posing as a student. He may not want to return, but we need him."

"Are you certain it's him? We've wasted resources on this quest before, but if he knows how to trigger Armageddon, we must make him return or eliminate him," Asmodeus paused, sensing Teufel's unspoken words.

Teufel handed Asmodeus one of his golden hairs, proof of loyalty to the old general. Without a word, Teufel left. He would bring Lucifer back or die trying. The stakes were high; depending on who would get his hands on Lucifer Morningstar, it would mean the end of the world or the beginning of a new one.

Hospital of the Holy Guardian Angel, La Barranca (Madrid)

Word count: 603 words