ii.

"So, who exactly would you happen to be?" Giyu asked quietly as the purple-haired woman pulled a stool from nearby and placed it at the foot of his bed

"So, who exactly would you happen to be?" Giyu asked quietly as the purple-haired woman pulled a stool from nearby and placed it at the foot of his bed. She quietly sat down with the same smile she wore when he first saw her. Her purple eyes lifted, watching him watch her, a pattern going back and forth

"My name is Shinobu Kocho," she finally said, her moving smile synchronized with her words. "I'm a nurse for the army, and as of now, you are in a rural area near Tokyo. You were taken here because of you injuries." she explained, her methodical purple eyes watching him, as if seeing the pain in his heart and the shock in his head.

"Can I go back?" Giyu asked blandly, gritting his teeth against the sudden chill in the room. The woman made a sound, somehow a sigh, somehow a laugh, the perfectly-placed smile seeming faker and faker as the seconds past.

"Darling, you can't even sit up without flinching. How on Earth are you going to fight in this war if you can't even walk?" She chirped, lifting her hands and clasping them together close to her face, "that wouldn't be good at all, would it?"

He really didn't like her.

She was perfect. Glossy lips and hair. Big eyes. Tiny nose. A bubbly personality and jaw-dropping smile that could stop this war. And yet, he didn't like any of it. She was like a simple machine, only used to smile and comfort people. Yet, no amount of comforting would soothe him, especially if it came from the likes of her.

"No," Giyu said tensely, "it sure wouldn't." Silence strained for a few seconds, only to hear her honey-edged voice ring out again, painfully and annoying like the bullets splayed out during the war. 

"Well, how's that tea?" she asked, eyelashes high in the air. Giyu sighed, watching her stare at him as if she were a porcelain doll. The beady eyes ticked him off. Her smile rubbed him the wrong way. Everything was strange about her. he didn't like it. At all.

Soon, the tea began to heat in his hands, sweat starting to bead off of him, her never changing stare watching him. She was creepy. Really, really creepy. He was reminded of the girl he enjoyed spending time with the most before she passed, playing dolls and laughing, nothing in the world separating them.

But now, they were separated. He was here, and she was somewhere, never to return. He sighed, a smile forming on him face. She loved all things, no matter how hideous or ugly it was. Scary too, he reminded himself, watching Shinobu's face slowly melt into the traditional dolls she used to play with.

Shinobu seemed confused, opening her mouth to speak. Compared with the annoyance, sudden heat, overly layered and long hospital gown, and now boiling anger, he felt himself snap. "So, how is i-"

"Can you please shut up?"

Shinobu paused, taken aback by his words. The smile stayed put, as if her face was plastic. Her clothes might as well start fading into doll dresses at this point. But something changed. His chest felt heavy, his eyes felt weak, and his heart felt weighed.

"Tomioka," she said, her voice like a dagger in heaven. He looked up, lips pressed together sadly, unimpressed by this little girl in his face. "Please don't speak to me like that." she quipped, seemingly ready to stand her ground. Then she started to stand up, the silence thick and tense. 

She didn't place the chair back where she got it from, but just stood and began her leave. She walked away, shoes creaking against the floor, a dark look spread across her face. "I just want you to know," she said darkly, but Giyu had far enough.

  "Take your leave, you dwarf"

The younger girls Tomioka saw before came in at the sound of the scuffle, subduing the purple-eyed beauty before she caused more damage to his already destroyed body.