Interview with a Victor: A Fresh Look Into the 24th Hunger Games

This interview was conducted with the courtesy of Capitol News.

-

Last summer was nothing short of an epic saga. Watt Miller claimed his victory after an intense eleven days in the latest Arena. Watt hails from District 5, the last of the twelve Districts to take home their first crown in the 24 years of the Hunger Games. Now eighteen, Watt will be returning to the Capitol this summer as a first-year mentor, set to produce more District 5 victors for the years to come.

 Now eighteen, Watt will be returning to the Capitol this summer as a first-year mentor, set to produce more District 5 victors for the years to come

(This poster was made with the courtesy of Photoleap. It is not my original artwork.)

The Games have changed Watt's life forever, and in more ways than one. He moved away from his crumbling apartment complex and into Panem's newest Victor's Village, he now goes hunting often, and he has altered his personal style, hoping to better represent his district in the Capitol. Aphrodite Twistle has taken on the role of Head Stylist for District 5 in the next Games, and so she took on interviewing the young and promising victor, hoping to explore his style, intentionality, and to bring their district to the next level.

-

AT: Good afternoon, it's astonishing to finally meet you!
WM: *nods meekly*
AT: You look marvelous today, do you feel like so?
WM: [inaudible] I don't feel any different from this morning, I guess.
AT: I have observed your style has changed drastically since last summer, when the world was first introduced to you. I have heard you have done a lot since then, can you tell me what that is?
WM: You're talking about clothes, right?
AT: Yes! Yes.
WM: I'm glad I can afford to patch holes in them, because I could never do that with metal. I also need to wear a neck brace until I can move my head around again, so I guess that makes me look different.
AT: Ah yes! Is that the same neck brace you wear in your victory poster? It makes you look quite sharp.
WM: Yes it is, thank you ma'am.
AT: Yes yes, it is well earned. Now, can you tell me how your style has evolved since your victory? It is quite interesting to me because District 5 has won for the first time ever.
WM: Yeah, I think it's interesting to see how my district has changed since last year, but I want to make sure it's for the better. If I wear new clothes, then maybe everyone else can too, and they won't have to worry about burning their skin in the warehouses because of unpatched holes.
AT: That is very interesting. I have noticed that you still dress quite plainly.
WM: Oh yeah, if I got styled like a Cap back home, I would be rigged on pretty hard.
AT: Oh, how so?
WM: I get styled wearing a bunch of aluminum, iron, and steel sewn onto cotton in the Capitol. I look stupid coming back home with those pieces. And I can't wear a lot of the new stuff out anywhere. I could weld with a Cap jacket because of how much metal is on it, and then I would get my arm blown off.
AT: Oh that's quite unfortunate. When you are back in your district, can you tell me more about what you do wear?
WM: ...er...I think what I wear the most often is this cowhide jacket [I have on]. It's not really new, but it works the best. I wear it even during the summer time. I actually got it from an old friend, who happens to work in the Justice Building back home. She could afford to gift it to me, actually during the Games last year.
AT: Oh wow! For the record, I will describe what you wear at the moment. My dear friend, you wear your jacket with...what appears to be a very heavy taupe shirt with ivory buttons down the middle. You hone thick and...quite large denim pants with many pockets, and these rustic Old Western boots. I'm afraid I do not quite understand why...your ensemble appears so large...
WM: ...I'm afraid I did not really enjoy how tight my costume was last year in the Chariot Parade...
AT: Is that so...
WM: *nods his head* No one back home could go out to work wearing something so tight on the skin, unless maybe you're my friend in the Justice Building or the Mayor, but that's really it.
AT: Ah, but you are a Victor! I don't assume you still go to work for hours at a warehouse...
WM: I have to. Last year, I won a new house, a one-time money prize, and some food, but that was it. My life didn't really change...but you know what, I would rather it not. The only thing I really won was my survival. And I will use that the most. I can now get married and support my family in good conscience.
AT: Ah, yes, insightful. That speaks to me because I believe we must all win our survival throughout our lives. Life never comes easy, to anyone, truly. Lastly, is there any way in particular you wish to see your district represented in the upcoming Games?
WM: I don't want their clothes to be too tight.
AT: I see, not too harsh of a demand. But I am so excited to style the district this year. I feel I have lots of room for creative freedom, and perhaps, something new will come of it! And that is it! Here we have Watt Miller, the first ever Victor from District 5! Congratulations, and thank you for today!
WM: *nods his head*