Chapter Three

T.K. walks into the consult room as Doctor Clayton walks out.

'They have an update on your parents.' He informs them. 'The doctor is waiting in the waiting area.' Carter looks at her big brother.

'Whatever they say, whatever happens, we'll get through it, together.' Carlos reassures her. 'Come on.' Carter jumps down from the bed and the three of them leave the room and return to the waiting room. Owen is standing with the doctor so they join them.

'This is Carlos and Carter. Andrea and Gabriel's children.' T.K. introduces them to the doctor.

'Hi, I'm Doctor Andrews.' The doctor introduces himself as he shakes their hands. 'Are you happy for me to discuss what's going on in front of these two?' He asks, motioning to T.K. and Owen.

'Yeah, we're all pretty much family.' Carlos nods. Doctor Andrews looks at Carter who nods in agreement.

'Both your mom and dad suffered severe injuries. They are currently both intubated and we've put them into an induced coma.' Doctor Andrews starts. 'Mr Reyes suffered a broken leg, a head injury and some internal injuries. We're doing a blood transfusion at the moment as he's still actively bleeding. His blood pressure is too low so the surgeons want to wait until it stabilises before taking him into surgery.' He gives the run down on Gabriel's injuries. 'Mrs Reyes has a broken arm, broken ribs, chest and head injuries. Due to the chest injuries, she's not supporting her own airway at the moment which is why we've intubated her. The reason Mr Reyes was intubated is due to the head injury.'

'What kind of head injury?' Carter questions.

'He had a bleed which has stopped but it also caused his brain to swell.' Doctor Andrews says before looking at Carlos. 'As you're next of kin, are you happy to make decisions on their behalf or would you like me to get one of our lawyers and a patient advocate to act as medical power of attorney?'

'No, I'll do it.' Carlos shakes his head. 'Can we see them?'

'Only for a short time.' Doctor Andrews nods. 'It's only immediate family right now so only you and your sister can go in.' Carlos turns to T.K.

'We'll be right here.' T.K. assures him before hugging and kissing him. They part and Carlos turns to Carter.

'Are you ready?' He asks.

'I-I-' She stammers, tears rolling down her cheeks. 'I can't do this.' She shakes her head before running off. Carlos goes to follow her but Owen stops him.

'You go see your mom and dad.' Owen tells him. 'I'll go and find her.'

'Thank you.' Carlos nods appreciatively before Doctor Andrews leads him off. Owen turns to T.K.

'Any idea of where she might have gone?' Owen asks his son. 

'She may have gone outside for some fresh air.' T.K. responds. 'Or, the paediatrics unit has a bearded dragon. She might have gone there.'

'I'll try there first then. If she's not there, I'll check outside. I'll go to security if I can't find her.' Owen says.

'Let me know when you find her.' T.K. tells him. Owen nods and walks off to find the young girl. He checks the paediatric unit, and when he doesn't find her, he heads outside. After ten minutes of searching, he finds Carter sitting on the grass next to the hospital pond. He sends a quick text to T.K. saying that he's found her before walking over and sitting on the grass next to her.

'They're going to be okay.' Owen reassures her.

'You don't know that.' Carter shakes her head.

'No.' Owen also shakes his head. 'But what I do know is that your mom and dad are strong. If anyone can pull through, it's them.'