Can I sleep in your house tonight? // Chapter 6

Medkit's hand tried grabbing at the ground below him. Like sand, it fell at the slightest touch. He could feel the pull on his leg, trying to bring him down. He resisted the best he could, digging his nails into the ground.

No!

His hand slipped right off. To reach out now was hopeless.

The plummet down was slow and draining like air was being forced into his lungs.

He hit the ground with a quiet noise as if he had fallen onto thousands of blankets. He stared at the ceilings as if entranced by the roof that seemed like a pasted picture of wood.

A gentle beep sounded in the background, followed by the dragging of chains. The noise slowly got louder and louder until a door creaked open. He could feel the panic rise in his chest, and then came a sudden pain. It struck through him like a lightning bolt.

With a jolt, he sat straight up, facing the open doorway. There stood that same masked man, Katana, he recalled. The chain he had heard had been the demon's cape, dragging against the floor.

The room itself seemed to consist of fake wooden textures for everything, floors, and ceilings. It seemed to be trying to imitate the coziness of the cafe.

"Medkit," the gruff voice greeted.

Medkit stared in confusion.

"Who are you?" Medkit heard his voice say.

"Katana," the demon simply responded.

Your voice is hostile... Why?" Katana tilted his head.

"I'm not sure."

Katana nodded in understanding, and his mask stared straight through him. As if something had been over his shoulder. Though Medkit could not look behind him.

"Your soul is corrupted, Medkit. Come, sit with me. Let's talk about it."

Suddenly, the man was no longer standing. He sat in an armchair, his legs comfortably crossed over each other.

Medkit sat in front of him, a seat manifesting underneath him.

"What do you mean?" Medkit frowned.

"Do you like tea?"

"What part of my soul can you see?"

"Everything. I know everything about you, Medkit."

"What? But I've never met you."

"Of course not. I'm your head."

"That's not possible."

"Okay... I'm your conscience."

"Oh."

Why did that make more sense the second time? Of course, he was dreaming this.

The man lifted a teacup that appeared from thin air to his mask. When it clicked against the wood, he could hear a faint sipping noise as if the tea was being drunk.

"You're no longer affiliated with Blackrock?" Katana asked.

"I thought you knew everything about me."

"I was like you once."

Katana's finger traced the rim of the teacup.

"I considered The Lost Temple my home."

Medkit stared into those empty black sockets of his mask.

"I remember now. You're that runaway. They said Blackrock was involved in your escape," Medkit paused. "How'd you do it?"