******

Chapter 67

◎Eating Meat◎

Liu Susu has eaten Jerusalem artichoke before. The rhizome of this plant is very good when used to make pickles. It is cut into pieces and marinated in hot sauce. It has a slight sweetness and is used with rice. It's just right.

But she was interested in this now not because of how delicious it was, but because it suddenly occurred to her that she had accidentally read a report on crops before, saying that crops like Jerusalem artichoke are particularly drought-tolerant and do not need much watering. , even if there is a long drought, there will be no problem.

The coming days will only become more and more dry. Although there are water pipes, the amount of daily irrigation will definitely be reduced. In this case, it is important to choose some drought-tolerant crops.

Although Jerusalem artichoke is often eaten in cooking, when there is really no food, even the bark can be eaten, let alone a serious food like Jerusalem artichoke.

Liu Susu knelt down and took a look, and found that although these Jerusalem artichokes were small in size, they were of good quality. But what she really wanted to buy was not Jerusalem artichokes, but, "Comrade, do you still grow them at home?"

Now there is food at home. , buying Jerusalem artichoke is of little use. Liu Susu's plan is to buy the seeds directly and plant them in the yard. When the situation becomes more serious next year, she will be able to harvest them.

The fellow didn't expect that Liu Susu's purpose was this, "Yes, I have it, but I put it all at home. How about I deliver it to you tomorrow?" "Is it

convenient for you on the day of the market? Why don't I go find you directly." Liu Susu road.

The market is the day after tomorrow, so you can buy some other things to take back with you on the way.

The fellow nodded and agreed.

The day after tomorrow, not only Liu Susu, she also called Lu Lingzhi and Chen Nan together.

Not many people grow Jerusalem artichokes. After all, every household's land is now limited. Even if this crop is drought-resistant, it will occupy other areas. If you have the time, you can grow more potatoes and sweet potatoes. Something like that, isn't it better?

So as soon as she heard that Jerusalem artichoke seeds were being sold here, Liu Susu quickly called Lu Lingzhi and the others over, so that everyone could plant some at home so that if something happened, there would be an emergency method.

Because I had made an agreement with her, the fellow villager had been waiting at home. When he saw three people coming at once, he was a little surprised: "Comrade, do you all want it?"

"Yes, look at how many there are, we can divide it among ourselves. That's it." After Liu Susu said that, the fellow took out a bag from the house, which was full of Jerusalem artichokes that he had selected and suitable for planting.

There are not many people eating this kind of food here. Seeing that so many people like Liu Susu and others wanted it, the fellow villagers couldn't help but ask a few more questions to see what they wanted.

Liu Susu did not hide it, but told her that Jerusalem artichoke was suitable for drought. Upon hearing this, the fellow said repeatedly: "It is indeed true. This thing is really easy to feed. Comrade, do you also grow this in your hometown?" ?"

If you haven't planted it before, you definitely don't know.

Liu Susu nodded, thought for a while and said: "The weather is getting drier and drier. If there is a place, you can plant a little more this year. Maybe it will come in handy when?" Upon hearing this, the

fellow said, Found it to be true.

In fact, he doesn't like eating this very much. He thinks it's too sweet. It's his daughter who likes eating it, and he grows it for his daughter. It just so happens that his daughter is getting married this year. The fellow originally planned to stop planting after this year, so he just planted it. All was used to grow soybeans, so they were all sold.

But when Liu Susu said this, he changed his mind. He had worked in the fields all his life, and it was hard not to notice how abnormal the weather was now. Since it never rained, the villagers had been complaining. There were many complaints. Everyone has their hopes set on the coming year, but what if there is no way to alleviate it in the coming year?

But because he didn't want to plant any more, he took out all the Jerusalem artichokes at home. At this moment, he could only look at Liu Susu apologetically.

"It just so happens that there are so many here. How much do you need? Let's share it together?" Liu Susu saw his embarrassment and said with a smile without him having to say anything.

"Okay! Thank you, little comrade!" the fellow said gratefully.

The four of them shared a bag of Jerusalem artichokes. In addition, Liu Susu also ordered some pumpkin and winter melon seeds.

It is also prepared for drought.

She went back last night and carefully thought about the next planting plan. Wheat and corn are grains and must not be missing, but the things in the vegetable garden at home can be adjusted.

Although they are all crops, each type has different water requirements. Liu Susu still remembers that leafy vegetables require more water. In comparison, melon vegetables require more water. They are much more drought tolerant, especially pumpkins and winter melons. Unless it is particularly droughty, they generally do not need watering.

Moreover, these are large and easy to preserve. If you choose a variety, store them in the cellar. If they last longer, you can eat them from autumn to summer without any problem.

Because the vegetable garden at home is not big, she planted very little in the past, only one or two vines at most, which naturally produced not many fruits. Now she wants to expand her planting, so she needs to buy some seeds.

Although Lu Lingzhi and Chen Nan didn't know what Liu Susu's purpose was in buying this, they knew that Liu Susu definitely didn't buy it blindly, and they both followed suit.

Of course, the fellow didn't have such a variety here, and he wanted to keep some for himself, so after leaving here, the three of them went to the market again to collect all the things they needed.

After buying the things, all that's left is to start organizing the planting.

Liu Susu had to go to work, so she only had some time every night and morning. Fortunately, Han Lie would help, so the two of them could go much faster together. In addition, the wheat in the fields had also been harvested, and it was the same season as usual. , but this time the weight is obviously less.

This was to be expected. Captain Zhang just asked them to record the quantity. Other than that, there was nothing else they could do.

After the harvest is over, it's time for a new round of planting. As usual, it's rapeseed. Because there's not enough space in the garden, Liu Susu specially cleared a space this time to plant Jerusalem artichokes.

I have to be busy with things in the fields and things at home. I am so busy that I will be busy until the twelfth lunar month.

Although they are not very optimistic about their future life, neither Liu Susu nor Han Lie are the kind of people who like to show their troubles on their faces, especially when there are so many children at home.

Because they didn't say anything, the little guys except those on the trail didn't notice this and went to school digging grass and playing around.

Xiaolu was a wanderer in the past and had no sense of belonging to any place. He was always afraid that he would not have enough to eat, so he matured earlier than other children and kept all the recent abnormalities in mind.

Sometimes even if Liu Susu didn't say anything, the first thing the little guy would do as soon as school was over was to run over and ask Liu Susu if anything had happened.

Liu Susu smiled and said: "It's okay, it's just that the Chinese New Year is coming soon, so I'm busier than before. When mother and Uncle Han are not at home, Xiaolu needs to take good care of his younger brothers and sisters, you know?"

When she said this, Xiaolu felt relieved, He quickly patted his little chest and said, "I can help, don't worry, mom!"

After being able to help, the little guy became less worried. Plus, after the winter vacation, he can now enjoy the same things as before every day. Went to the mountains early in the morning to dig grass.

The temperature dropped sharply in the twelfth lunar month. Even though Liu Susu wrapped several children tightly and asked them to wear gloves, they were still shivering from the cold when they came out.

Especially Han Cheng, he is the youngest, and Xiaolu is afraid that he will catch a cold every time.

When Han Cheng heard this, he shook his head: "It's okay, brother, I'm not cold at all!"

In fact, it's not that he's not cold, but that his attention has been attracted by other things, because the Chinese New Year is coming soon!

Han Xiuxiu came over to help him fold his collar. When he heard this, he smiled and said, "You are not looking forward to the New Year, but you are looking forward to eating meat, right?"

Han Cheng laughed and said, "Sister, you understand me. , I can't help it, my mother hasn't cooked meat for so long, I'm almost starving to death."

In fact, it wasn't just him, several of the kids were also starved.

The last time they ate meat was when they caught a goat and had a good meal. But after that day, my mother called them over and told them seriously that there might be no meat for a long time in the future. Eat and let them endure it for a while.

The little guys were all sensible and knew that keeping the family's money would be useful. They didn't speculate at all and agreed obediently.

But I haven't eaten meat for so long, no matter who I am, I can't think of it. I just wait and wait for the New Year to come soon, because my mother always cooks meat for the New Year, and it will definitely be the same this time.

Moreover, their two pigs are also fat and fat. When the pigs are killed, they can eat as much meat as they want!

Han Cheng felt happy when he thought of that scene and became more energetic when working. However, what surprised him was that they had meat to eat before the New Year's Day.

It was my mother who suddenly came over and asked them if they wanted to eat meat.

There was nothing unexpected about this, the little guys immediately nodded their heads with pecks of rice.

Han Cheng asked loudly: "Mom, are you going to kill the pigs at home?"

"Not yet." Liu Susu smiled and said, "We are going to catch fish. Can we eat fish?"

Catch fish?

The children were about to nod when they suddenly thought something was wrong.

"But mother, isn't the river frozen?"

How can I catch him?