09. FATE IN HAND.

CHAPTER NINE

FATE IN HAND

FATE IN HAND.

Celia rolled over to her side, coughing as the color returned to her face. Blood coated the inside of her lips, but she was alive. Lucy Gray could feel the shift in the air, tears of joy now present on her cheeks.

Celia danced in between consciousness for quite sometime, but with just one glance at Lucy Gray, she knew nothing more would happen to her.

The harsh grip of two PeaceKeeper's arms registered in Lucy's mind as she was torn away from Celia's teetering consciousness. "No, wait a minute, please!" She begged, kicking at the gravel as she was pulled away.

"Lucy.. Lucy Gray." Tears skipped down Celia's bloodied face as she weakly reached for Lucy. A grand shadow drew over her face as somebody crouched beside her.

The woman tsked, her hair wild and gray. With some false gentleness, she ran a hand down Celia's cheek. "Poor girl." The tribute's blinking grew lazier. "Now just what are we to do with you?"

••

Celia woke with a start, torso heaving forward as she sat stick straight in an unfamiliar bed. Her breathing was labored and her skin gleaming with sweat.

A few breathy sobs escaped her chapped lips as her hand reached for her head. In shock, she felt how a few bandages now decorated her once damaged face.

Turning to survey the unfamiliar room, Celia jumped at the sight of the boy beside her. His head rested in his hands as he bent over himself in the small chair.

"Coriolanus?"

The blond looked up, an unimpressed expression souring his pale face. His jaw ticked at the sight of her. "Good morning," Corio spat.

"What's going on? Where is Luc-"

"She's gone. Went home." He shrugged, bristling a bit. Coriolanus looked down in thought. He patted his knees before coming to a stance and making his way over to a table.

Celia watched as Corio fiddled with a few things. She held back a sniffle at the thought of Lucy Gray leaving. "Wait, so she's in Twelve?"

"Where else would she be?" He snapped, looking over his shoulder at her. Celia's frown grew at his tone.

New tears now drew down her face. "I'm sorry, I'm just so confused. How am I alive?"

Coriolanus scoffed. "Lucy Gray won the game. Guess you were just a package deal. Couldn't get rid of you."

With his back to her, Celia chuckled a bit at the assumed joke. "She's not losing me." Celia tacked on, becoming more relaxed as the moments passed.

Coriolanus' silence was off putting, but quickly forgotten about at the sound of approaching footsteps. The same woman from the arena waltzed into the room, a sinister smile lighting her face.

"My dear," She gestured toward Celia with her hands. "You're awake!"

Celia nervously rubbed her hands together. Averting her gaze back to Coriolanus' back as he continued to work on something at the table.

"How rude of me." She paused, swallowing with a perfect posture. "I am Dr. Gaul. The GameMaker." Her sinister smile finally made sense. Celia visibly flinched at her words, drawing back towards the headboard of the bed.

"And while the game may be over, it does not mean you're off the hook, darling." She snapped her fingers as Coriolanus turned around, a needle in his shaky hand. "As you already know, there is only one real winner. All of Panem watched you die, we can't have you waltzing out of here and disrupting the flow of our governing."

Tears immediately jumped back into Celia's eyes. "Wait, please I won't say anything to anyone!" She begged, crawling further away from the foot of the bed.

Coriolanus looked to the ground as he handed the needle to Gaul. "It doesn't work that way, Ten."

Dr. Gaul averted her gaze from Celia to Coriolanus. "Thank you, son. Shouldn't you be packing?" A smirk played on her lips as he obviously bristled.

Once the blond left, not sparing a second glance to Celia, Gaul turned back to the girl. "You aren't the only one being punished, my dear." She spoke matter-of-factly.

"Please, Dr. Gaul. I'll do anything, just please don't kill me. I'm sorry!" Celia begged through her watery voice. She blabbed pleas of mercy and continued to scoot away. "I just want to see my father."

Dr. Gaul paused her approach in thought. She chuckled. "Your father? Oh honey.."

Celia stilled, heart beat slowing.

"Did you really think that stunt you pulled during your interview would go unpunished?" Dr. Gaul watched the needle as if this was no bother to her. She looked back up, smiling at Celia's reaction.

Celia's face paled, breathing becoming inconsistent. Her shaky hands made their way to her chest. "He's not alive, is he?" The cold tears streaming down her face only grounded her more.

Dr. Gaul tsked again. "Dear, your father has been dead since last week."

The room spun, her mouth suddenly dry and ears ringing. Celia swayed a bit in the bed, trying to desperately swallow any bit of air she could reach.

Celia didn't take note of Coriolanus' entrance once again. As fast as the boy clocked her, he quickly looked back to Gaul. Once getting whatever question he had answered, he scurried once again. Celia failed to notice the furrow in his brow, his parted lips, and the way he almost seemed to feel bad for the girl.

She also didn't hear Dr. Gaul harshly place the needle onto the tray beside the bed. "You know," Her jaw jutted out in thought. "Maybe I won't kill you, tribute."

Celia looked up at the woman with glass eyes.

"No, no." Gaul shook her head. "No use in killing you. Waste of supplies." She smiled, realizing the pain brought on by the capital. The thought of prolonging her misery practically made Gaul giddy. "How do you feel about our dear friend Coriolanus?"

Celia's breath caught in her throat, tears freezing. Gaul clocked the girl's uncomfortable shifting at the mention of the boy's name. "He was a friend." She meekly spoke up.

"Are you up for a little friendly retreat?"

Celia knew the question required no answer as she had no say in the matter.

••

NOTES
why was this the hardest thing to write?
it may be confusing omg but I had to get
my girl to 12 somehow!!
so sorry it's so short, more
chapters coming soon :)
1k, unedited.