Chapter 09: Killbas

In an unknown universe, a young man in armor was chasing a van driven by criminals, swinging from web to web.

The armor was predominantly red and black, with the helmet featuring a front spider motif with two surrounding legs and two large red eyes. The torso was also represented by a larger spider reaching above the waist, with only two legs reaching the same level, resembling two sharp spider legs. The forearm and bottom of the armor were black with red bits of armor. The belt was black and had a big red spider with a red bottle on it and a crank on the right.

He could have easily reached the van, but the gunfire he was under made the task more difficult, until he landed on the ground, spun webs around the rear of the vehicle and fired hard enough to turn the vehicle over, landing roof down.

The criminals get out, and just as they're about to attack him with guns, he ties them up in his webbing just as the police have arrived. But before he leaves, he spots a toy store on the street. There's a person in a black teddy bear costume with red eyes wearing a scarf of the same color.

Immediately after seeing this, he wove a web on the top of a building and swung himself into a deserted alleyway where he was able to remove the spider-shaped device from his belt, making his armor disappear before stowing his equipment in his coat and placing his hands in front of his face before leaving one at mouth level as he looked saddened and close to bursting into tears.

When his phone rang, he pulled it out and saw that it was his old dorm-mate Miles. He immediately picked up, hoping it would take his mind off things.

"Hello." He said, trying his best to sound as if nothing had happened.

"Hello, (Y/N). How are you?" Gwen's voice asked over the phone.

"Yeah, and you?" Asked the hero in civilian clothes.

"Yeah. Can we get together soon? Miles and I found something interesting." Said Gwen.

"You're cheating on me with him, aren't you?" (Y/N) joked.

"Of course not, silly." Laughs Gwen. "Meet us at the Starbucks not far from your place so get your ass over here because there's something wrong and we need your help." Said Miles, before hanging up.

(Y/N) used his powers to scour the city from building to building in his homemade mask, trying to get to Gwen's location as quickly as possible without being recognized. When he reached a nearby alleyway to arrive without attracting attention at the Starbucks where he found Gwen and Miles.

"Hi." (Y/N) said, attracting their attention.

"Hi, (Y/N)." Said Miles as his friend joined them.

"You were fast." Said Gwen, surprised at how long it took (Y/N) to arrive.

"I took some shortcuts." Explained (Y/N). "Otherwise, that's why you wanted to see me."

Miles showed him an article on his phone about people who had mysteriously disappeared in the aftermath of an explosion in the Fisk Tower before his arrest. And all we found where they disappeared was some kind of black gas.

"You're the smartest person I and my teachers know. And I've talked it over with Gwen, but the three of us could investigate this." Miles suggested.

"You're sick." Said (Y/N).

"No, I'm not. Think about it, if we can solve this case, we'll be heroes." Said Miles.

"And if we fail, we're dead." Says (Y/N).

"And if we succeed, we could prevent other disappearances." Miles retorted.

"He's right. You know, you're the first person in the history of Brooklyn Visions Academy to pass all his exams in his first year. If you use his intelligence to solve this investigation, it'll be done in no time." Asked