Chapter 11: Love and War

At lunch, Alma sent Sophie another paper bird that carried tips on how to bypass Halfway Bridge. If Alma's reflection had let her cross by simply name-calling herself for her promiscuous lifestyle, then Sophie could fool her own reflection into thinking she was actually an Evergirl. All she needed to do was focus on others—and not their appearances or statuses—instead of herself. Alma had made sure to word her suggestions as tactfully as possible. She imagined Sophie's reflection would attempt to provoke her, or question her about true Goodness or the "beauty within," and Alma had given her ideas for the most appropriate answers.

Sophie smirked at her from across the tables, as if she knew exactly what to do.

Alma waited that night. As minutes turned into hours, she grew more and more restless, pacing the dorm. Had Sophie failed to fool her reflection? Had she been caught? Was she in the Doom Room again?

Alma's stomach churned with fear at the possibility, then it heated to anger. She would burn down both castles if the school laid another finger on her. The School Master planned to turn Sophie as Evil as him, but he didn't have a chance. Not anymore.

But Sophie never visited, and Alma feared the worst: she'd been kidnapped by the School Master—again—or she was being tortured into full-on Evil.

Alternatively, Sophie just hadn't bypassed the bridge's enchantment yet. Alma could only hope this was the most likely reason and that she'd see Sophie at lunch tomorrow.

Alma forgot all about Sophie the next day when she found Professor Sader missing in History of Heroism.

Sitting at the absent seer's desk was a slim, light-skinned young man who sported a lilac suit. He had side-swept, tousled purple hair and big, brown eyes lined with black. He looked like he belonged in a music video for some gothic synth-rock band. Once everyone was seated, he stood and stepped in front of the transfixed class, folding his hands behind his back. His eyes swept the students as he slunk around the room, as if he were picking out prey. There was something distinctly cat-like about him.

"Professor Sader is no longer teaching at the School for Good and Evil," he said. "He has been forced to resign for reasons that can't be disclosed. So, I am your new teacher, and you may call me Percy. No need to refer to me as Professor." He stopped and faced the class, a dark hunger in his gaze. "Now, you've only been exposed to the history of heroes and heroines, and successful ones at that, but we don't truly learn from history if we don't familiarize ourselves with all sides."

Alma was the only student in class who wasn't intimidated by the new teacher, but fascinated. For the first time in this miserable school, she was invested in one of its subjects that had nothing to do with magic. The Evers learned about the heroes and heroines of the past who'd failed and why, and they weren't spared the horrific details. The new teacher even condemned the complacency and sameness that Good's winning streak had created, reminding the Evers that their victory could end at any time, especially with him in charge of teaching both schools.

The students left with disbelief and bruised egos, except for Alma. She was looking forward to another day of someone ripping Good a new, long-overdue asshole.

The sight of Sophie at lunch, holding another lecture on renovating the Evil school, filled Alma with relief. She was too busy to acknowledge the Evergirl, who was supposed to be focused on trying to connect with her goody-good peers, anyway.

Tedros shared his rutabaga bisque, parsley slaw, and lavender petit fours with Alma. She ate quietly while the others verbally tore apart the new History of Heroism teacher. They wondered how someone like him had been hired and when he would quit, calling him a Never and making thinly veiled threats like a bunch of Nevers themselves. Good whining was the worst. Alma rolled her eyes to herself, biting her tongue before it could turn sharp.